What's new

Clicking/Static sound on Denon 1803 (1 Viewer)

Debbie K

Grip
Well, as the title suggests, I am experiencing a strange clicking/crackling sound occasionally from my right rear surround and am not sure if it is the receiver/speaker/or source. Any ideas would be most appreciated!
I have a new Denon 1803 and JBL speakers, the speaker in question is the N24II. I am using monster cable speaker wire and AR Banana Plugs if that makes a difference. I checked the connections and all seems well. (?)
The reason I am not sure if it is the source is because I have only noticed this when watching regular cable TV using PLII cinema mode, not when watching a DVD. It is not very loud, but sometimes I hear a short crackling/static sound like you were moving the wires around or something and causing a slight short. Same sort of sound. But I am not moving anything. :)
If this is a common thing while watching regular TV I will just get used to it, but if perhaps there is a problem with my receiver, I need to exchange it or return it as I am still within the 30 day return period.
Thanks for any ideas! Debbie

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ben L C

Agent
Debbie,

A friend of mine encountered the same thing a week or so ago with a Denon 1803 too. He to was in the 30 day return period. We checked and rechecked all of his connections, swapped speakers and came to the conclusion that it was his reciever.
He returned it and it has never appeared again. IMHO take advantage of the 30 day return period.

Ben

Aaron Whitaker

Stunt Coordinator
I've had my 1803 for about a week now and haven't experienced that problem. I'll keep my ears tuned for it and hope it doesn't start. Did you have you're receiver plugged into a surge protector or just the outlet? Is the popping on just certain cable channels or every one of them?

Debbie K

Grip
Thanks for the responses!
It seems like I need to exchange this unit as it must have a problem. I was just not sure if this was "normal" while listening to regular TV or not. Guess not. :)
Aaron, I do have the receiver plugged into a Monster surge protector, AV700. Also, I think it is happening on all channels, not just some. It doesn't happen all the time, so those of you with this receiver, just pay attention it is not happening to you!
Other than that, I think it is a really nice receiver, we have listened to a few and this one was the winner. Nice combination of warmth/richness and clarity.
Thanks again! debbie

Chris_Cur

Agent
I'm having that exact problem with the same receiver / same speaker.
I didn't notice it before I got the N24II... maybe there are advantages to having some old, crappy speakers. You can't tell when you're having problems. :)

Glenn Mcc

Grip
Hey since we all have the same receiver, what do you set the sw crossover to? 80-100-120 I am not getting as much bass as I would like. I have energy take 5.2 speaker set with an 8 inch subwoofer. Any ideas on how I could set up the receiver to get more bass.

Thanks
Glenn

NeilKn

Grip
Debbie and I have the 12" Sony SAWM40 120 watt subwoofer stuffed with just under a pound of polyfill. We set the 1803 at 80db for the crossover. All speakers are set as Small in the Denon, and the SW is set at Normal. On the subwoofer itself, we set the crossover wide open so it plays everything it is fed and doesn't cut anything off. Placed in a corner of the room by itself, away from everything else and alongside our seating position actually, we cannot tell where the sub is. Depth charges going off in U571 felt like they were all around us, like we were in the middle of the action ... like it is supposed to sound/feel. Before stuffing the subwoofer though, we did not have the same experience. If everything is properly set and you are not getting the bass you expect, you may want to look into another subwoofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks