What's new

“Cleopatra” (1934) w/ Claudette Colbert – 4/10/2018 (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Universal will release Cleopatra (1934) starring Claudette Colbert on Blu-ray on April 10, 2018. Very unexpected (well, perhaps not, as it’s been available in the UK for a few years) yet still very welcome.
Special features:

Feature Commentary with Filmmaker F.X. Feeney

Claudette Colbert: Queen of the Silver Screen

Cecil B. DeMille: Hollywood’s Epic Director

Forbidden Film: The Production Code Era

Theatrical Trailer

Universal, if I’m not being too greedy, can we have The Heiress with de Havilland and Clift next?

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Amazed....stunned....what was the last pre-1970 film Universal released on BD themselves (not through Shout or another licensee)? I honestly can't remember..
Marx Bros, Hitchcock ... and the horror titles and the George Kennedy Spartacus (2X) ;)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Marx Bros, Hitchcock ... and the horror titles and the George Kennedy Spartacus (2X) ;)
I always forget about the horror collections, which they do release regularly (including It Came From Outer Space and The Ghost and Mr Chicken in 2016). In looking, outside of the Marx Brothers set in October of 2016, their last pre-1970 non-horror release in the US was the Doris Day and Rock Hudson Romantic Comedy Collection in April of 2016.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I think DeMille's greatest movie from the 1930s is The Plainsman, starring Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur.

But yes, the 1934 Cleopatra is most welcome, esp. with those nice special features. I wonder if they've done a new scan from the negative (if it exists)?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
81qn6vpghAL._SL1500_.jpg

81ak-KXtOSL._SL1500_.jpg

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'll definitely be picking this up but Claudette Colbert is my least favorite Cleopatra. I much prefer Elizabeth Taylor and Vivien Leigh. Colbert's Cleo seems more matronly than femme fatale.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I'll definitely be picking this up but Claudette Colbert is my least favorite Cleopatra. I much prefer Elizabeth Taylor and Vivien Leigh. Colbert's Cleo seems more matronly than femme fatale.

97ed555efba182b8f26b5cc6240ce0a0.jpg

because that outfit just screams matronly woman, LOL

I hope they can correct the spelling of Adolph Zukor's name on the back label before the release date. Maybe they were thinking he was related to the Zucker brothers. :laugh:

what, this isn't a late 70's early 80" comedy?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
As per Amazon, Universal will release Cleopatra (1934) starring Claudette Colbert on Blu-ray on April 10, 2018. Very unexpected (well, perhaps not, as it's been available in the UK for a few years) yet still very welcome.

Special features:
  • Feature Commentary with Filmmaker F.X. Feeney
  • Claudette Colbert: Queen of the Silver Screen
  • Cecil B. DeMille: Hollywood's Epic Director
  • Forbidden Film: The Production Code Era
  • Theatrical Trailer
Universal, if I'm not being too greedy, can we have The Heiress with de Havilland and Clift next?
I’m not familiar with F.X. Feeney. Are his commentaries good?

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
This appears to me to be a HD upgrade from the 75th Anniversary DVD released last decade. I don't have it in front of me, but the special features sound familiar. Anything new other than the transfer?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks