What's new

Cheap amp for Polk LSi7s (1 Viewer)

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have some polk RTi38s and a dayton 10" on a Pioneer VSX-D812K. I want to get some LSi7s but I'm sure my receiver wouldnt be able to handle that load so I'd need some sort of amp. Problem is I can only afford something cheap, >120 if possible. Anyone have something that fits the bill?

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
Aren't the LSi7's like $400 each or something like that?
If you are gonna spend that kind of money on speakers, you should expect to spend more on the amp(s). Especially the LSi's being they are among the most power hungry speakers on the consumer market plus they are 4 ohm speakers.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
No, I think on a few sites they are 450 a pair. What low end amp would you then suggest? around 200ish

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
your receiver has pre-outs, i presume?

first you wanted to save money on the speakers, now you're willing to buy an amp just to have the 4ohm speakers. i don't get it.

how bout RTi8s?

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
hehe, I've decided to spread out my spending, and so this is just preparation and information for the future. I'm going to probably slowly move into having a better setup. BTW, I listend to the KEF speaks and they were so solid. I listened to a setup with the Q1s (already set as rears :frowning: and some Q5s in the front) but since they sound quite a bit different from my polks I figure I'll stay with polk for my first setup. *deep breath*

sooo....I was looking around at the polk line and I see that the LSi7s are supposed to be excellent in their class and that I would need an amp. I figure sometime soon I'll get the amp and just use em with my speakers currently, then later this fall(august-ish) maybe get the LSi7s.

Oh, and to answer your question, yes, i have pre-outs for all channels (or so the manual says).

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

That's right. Plus, plenty of eBay vendors selling them for $450 - $500 a pair. However, you might forfeit the warranty when getting them for such a good price.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, but I figure if they break, fixing them would most likely cost less than the difference? Either way I wont be buying them for a little while, i need to find an affordable worthwhile amp (this might be an oxymoron).

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Usually, any vendor will provide some form of brief warranty. If you're going to have problems, it will probably be very early on anway.

Shiu

Second Unit
I am using an old Adcom GFA-555 to push my RTi38. It is rated at 350W X 2 at 4 ohms, or 200W X 2 into 8 ohms. You should be able to find one at really low cost. Get an 555 II if you could.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
cool, if there are any more suggestions keep em comin :)

Your help is much appreciated guys!

(truly dont know what i'd do if I hadnt joined this forum)

Another question, how is an amp connected to a receiver? What kind of cable is used?

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I've got a Pioneer Elite M-10x that I'm trying to sell. Had a buyer here but he wasn't shown any interest in a long time. 100watts x 2 @ 4 ohms.

$220 + freight (from 80922), I'll pay for the insurance.

Brian R

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend a Carver TFM-6c. They can be found between $125-$175 on ebay or audiogon. Its 100 wattsx 2 into 4 ohms. I had one for a couple of years it was a great little amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks