What's new

Charade: Criterion vs Universal: dubbed word? (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
In another thread, people asking about Charade on Criterion DVD (which is now out of print) and
saying that Charade comes as a 'bonus'
on the new DVD of the vastly inferior The Truth About Charlie.

What I want to know is this: Originally, during the ice cream eating scene, Audrey uses the work assassinated. But with JFK getting shot, Donen dubbed it in post to say "exterminated" or "eliminated" or something like that. I know because on the commentary track Donen and the writer of the story argue about Criterion restoring the original word.

So is it backed to the JFK-sensitive dubbed word on the Universal DVD, or is Audrey's line intact as she originally spoke it on the set?

Regards,

Mark

DeeF

Screenwriter
In the new version, the word used is 'assassinate.'

This version looks great, obviously retransferred from the same source material as the Criterion.

I dare you not to get this!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Dare as much as you want, DeeF, but I can't see any justification for picking up the new Charade, certainly not for one word. In addition to the fact that The Truth About Charlie was one of the worst films of 2003, this Charade does not include the Stanley Donen/Peter Stone audio commentary which is quite lively and full of juicy info (like trying to get Warren Beatty when Cary Grant threatened to bail).

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
So is the new CHARADE an anamorphic transfer, or the identical non-enhanced (albeit very nice) transfer that Criterion used? The only reason I'd ever dream of getting THE TRUTH ABOUT REMAKES (er, CHARLIE) is to compliment my Criterion disc with a better transfer of CHARADE (for my new 57" widescreen set). :D

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Never mind.... found the answer myself. CHARADE is indeed 1.85:1 anamorphic in the CHARLIE set:

Well, I guess I'll be getting it now....

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
So the word is the original, on the set, "assasinate," in both. Well, I love the Donen/Stone commentary, and when I have as many DVDs on my "waiting to buy" list as I do, and already have the Criterion, there are other titles to buy.

Thanks for the info! :)

Mark

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Since anamorphic transfers are useless to me and since "Charade" has no extras of its own, then there's no reason for me to bother with this one since I have the Criterion version.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Well, I suspect Charade will be released on its own disk. Right now, the rights probably belong to the production team of The Truth About Charlie. The extra movie on this disk is just extra incentive.

I think the version of Charade on this disk is superior, picture-wise, to the Criterion, which I keep for the commentary.

MikeM

Screenwriter
This is the perfect type of DVD to just wait about 6 months on, and then pick it up from Columbia House for about $5-7.

If the transfer on the original Charade looks great, I'll pick it up since it's enhanced for 16x9 TVs.

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
I do not own the Criterion version of CHARADE, so this is an easy pickup for me especially since it's 16:9 enhanced. Now, if THE TRUTH ABOUT CHARLIE is a decent flick, it might not be a bad double bill.

-Mike

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Geez, it's not like The Truth About Charlie is a bad movie at all... Not as good as Charade, no, but entertaining in its own right.

It's not like this is the copy of Casual Sex? that was attached like a parasite to Cold Comfort Farm. :)

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
I agree with Jason Seaver. While I probably wouldn't be purchasing The Truth About Charlie if it didn't include Charade, I enjoyed the movie quite a bit and gave it a good review when it came out. Instead of being just a braindead remake, TTAC is actually more of an homage to the French New Wave that (I think) succeeds as a criticism of the trend of remaking films in the first place. It's not Demme's best, but it's more enjoyable than the vitriolic comments in this thread indicate.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks