What's new

Cel phone etiquette 101: turn them off during a wedding ceremony! (1 Viewer)

AllenD

Second Unit
My wife went to a wedding last night. (I stayed home to babysit.) She told me there were Cel phones ringing throughout the ceremony. In one instance someone let the whole song ring instead of answering it immediately. Another person carried on a conversation during the cermony.
This has to be one of THE most maddening display of utter disrespect I have ever heard of in my entire life. What really puzzles me is that everyone with a cel phone didn't have the decency or common sense to turn theirs off after the first cel phone rang!
I'm sad for the couple since their memories of their wedding will be marred forever, by rude, incompetent guests, who the couple percieves them to be their friends, and can't leave their lives behind for a few short moments for such a special and rare occasion.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am totally against cell phone rudeness BUT
The person who let the phone ring was probably not just sitting there. I can bet that it was a woman who was digging through her bag to get the damn thing.
Next, I do not agree that people should "leave their lives behind" for that occasion or any other one for that matter: Putting the phone on "vibrate" would be a more appropriate way of not disturbing others. I have a 6 months old, and I want to know if something happens, the moment it does.
But I would also agree that most people are just careless and rude.
--
Holadem

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Even the longest ceremony - we're talking the most orthodox religious ceremony - takes about 90 minutes. Most wedding ceremonies last less than half an hour.
Obviously people have lives. But is it too much to ask that people severe their umbilical cord for the duration of the actual ceremony? No one cares if your phone rings during the reception, but to intentionally leave your phone on during the ceremony itself is boorish and rude beyond excuse.
Yeesh.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
We just have to stress that they should be set to vobrate for All public events. That includes board meetings, weddings, MOVIES, concerts, everything. That should be included in the instruction manual.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
We just have to stress that they should be set to vobrate for All public events.
I agree. Sometimes emergency happens despite public events. But you need to have the courtesy to turn the ringer off the phone. However, not all phones have an innate vibrate mode. I have to buy special batteries for my Nokia, but for the most part my phone is always on vibrate mode only. It allows me to decide whether to take a call or not without disturbing anyone else.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I'm finding myself agreeing with Mitty.
crazy.gif

It's simply rude, especially at such a momentous occasion. Such behavior tells other people that you think you are more important that anyone/thing else around you. Of course, it's just a dumb cell phone. It's only a tool. Of course, some use it as a tool to be an ass.
------------------
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -Franklin D. Roosevelt.
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001
[Edited last by John Thomas on October 08, 2001 at 04:37 AM]

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the majority sentiment expressed here - i.e. set it to vibrate if you *must* have it on in a public place. The obvious exceptions to this are people who are genuinely waiting on an important call or who are e.g. medics on standby.
However, I suspect that there are some individuals who aren't being thoughtless of (more forgivably) forgetful about cell phone use, but who have deluded themselves into believing that receiving cell phone calls in as ostentatious a manner as possible is a sign of status. It is - it's the status of a loser who's at the beck and call of others.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For those that maintain that they MUST be in contact via cell phone at all time: just put yourself in the place of the bride and groom, saying your vows, the vows that will impact your life for the rest of your life, and someone who YOU invited to YOUR wedding doesn't possess either the common sense, nor the courtesy to turn off their cell phone ringer, and their cell phone rings in the middle of the vows. How would you feel about that person?
Take responsibility for owning and using a cell phone, and don't be a nuisance to others on THEIR special day.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I am getting married next year. All I know is everyone better turn the things off. If one rings, and I find out who it is...
wink.gif
I always double check my phone before a movie. I either just turn it off, or put it on vibrate. I figure if someone is trying to reach me, they can wait a little while.
------------------
Jeff Blair
AIM blairj2
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
- Abraham Lincoln
My DVD's

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Unless you are ON CALL, work in public service, or are in the middle of family problems ......... urn the damn thing off.
When the ceremony is over and people are mulling around outside check you meages and make your calls.]
Why not put a message on your phone stating that yuou'll be at a wedding all day, and that unless it's an emergency YOU'LL call them back...
Brent L
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
Sometimes people just forget to turn off the phone. One time I was almost to the end of the first act at the opera (the Magic Flute) when I remembered that I had forgotten to turn off my phone in my back pack, the sweat streamed down my face, the people around me giving me dirty looks, as I searched thru my backpack the find the damn thing and turn it off, Thank god I did not get a call. I have never forgotten again, but I am always happy when there is a sign posted at the door or an announcement before a performance, film, or event asking people to turn off phones or give them to a staff worker who will come get them if they are on call etc. Anyone planning a wedding would be wise to begin with such an announcement.
kd
[Edited last by Kim Donald on October 09, 2001 at 04:55 AM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
We're not asking people not to have cell phones. We just would like them to put it on VIBRATE for public events. Weddings, movies, etc. That should not be too much to ask. And if it's inappropriate to talk in the venue you're in (like a church) take the darned call outside. You may think you're whispering, but trust me, we can HEAR YOU!
wink.gif

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Maybe they should do what the PGA did in Atlanta, have people check their cell phones at the gate before entering the golf course. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks