What's new

CE3K:C.C. LD vs. DVD? (1 Viewer)

Christian Dolan

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for all the initials.

Are there any worthwhile supplements available on the Criterion LD of Close Encounters (besides the original edit) that do not appear on the DVD?

Thanks,

-Christian

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
Christian:

Although this does not exactly answer your question, I "think" I am correct in what I am about to say:

In order to own EVERY version of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" released to the public either in theaters or to home video, you have to purchase: (1) the Criterion Collection CAV LD version (which has two different versions of the movie), (2) the 1998 Special Edition LD version, and (3) the recent DVD release version.

If I am mistaken about the above, I apologize.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Sam,

What's the difference between the Special Edition LD and the DVD? I have the Criterion LD and the DVD. Do I really need the SE LD also?

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
Adrian:
I "think" (I use this term loosely, as the various versions put out by Spielberg appear to be so numerous as to make one dizzy while trying to figure out which ones are available to the public) the following may help you:
Link Removed

Christian Dolan

Stunt Coordinator
Sam,

Thanks for the link. I'm satisfied with the DVD edit, so I don't think I'll get the LD just based on that. What I am curious about is whether there are any supplemental material that only exists on the Criterion set that isn't repeated anywhere else? Any info would help.

-Christian

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
All the supplemental material on the Criterion LD is pretty much exclusive. There are still frames of artwork and some test footage that appears again on the CTS laserdisc and/or DVD. But there are a ton of interviews on the Criterion LD that are not on any other format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks