What's new

CBS Press Release: Mission Impossible: The Original TV Series (7 Viewers)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I'm quite sure it's what I stated previously: for whatever reason Paramount didn't use the original version (lost? damaged?) and instead used an edited for reruns version they already had access to. The fact that BOTH parts one and two were EXACTLY five minutes short supports this. This has happened numerous times on DVDs. All this other speculation Is ridiculous. Unless there is proof otherwise, the simplest explanation Is usually the best.

Read the back covers of the season 3 DVD sets released in 2007:
“some episodes may be edited from their original network versions”.
That may be a first clue/lead.

imf_set1.jpg

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
That's really kind of boilerplate now. A CYA statement in case a song needs to be cut or music needs to be replaced. The Untouchables, Vega$, The Streets of San Francisco and Have Gun, Will Travel all have the same thing on their cases. I have no idea what was cut from these shows, if anything.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That's really kind of boilerplate now. A CYA statement in case a song needs to be cut or music needs to be replaced.

Actually, I don't blame them for saying something like that, because if something was cut, and the shows presented were not exactly as the viewers originally remembered, there could be a lot of complaints.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I love this set. Watching season 5 and the cast is perfect. One of the best looking classic TV sets I know of, right up there with 'Lost in Space'.
Yes, the HD transfer is exceptional. Lost in Space, Space: 1999 are on the same level. The consistency is excellent. For shows of this vintage, it's incredible how good they look. Especially when I remember reruns of Mission: Impossible, at least for the later episodes, tended to look muddy on Channel 5 as a kid.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
While I don’t know what is true, I’m curious how you know they are exactly five minutes short.

Where is it documented what the precise original run-times were? (If the allegation is correct that these aren’t the originals)
The other episodes of that season are consistently 50+ minutes. These two episodes are 45+ minutes.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise

View attachment 191677
Yes, I've seen that, it was the first M:I set to have that notice. But the question wasn't IF they were edited but WHY were edited episodes on the DVD in the first place.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Yes, I've seen that, it was the first M:I set to have that notice. But the question wasn't IF they were edited but WHY were edited episodes on the DVD in the first place.

Speaking of “The Contender”, I have the feeling from the crummy print I watched in the 1980’s,
there used to have footages of boxing training that highlit actor Robert Conrad.
The network may have found them redundant and cut them. The plot is not disturbed at all, by the way.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I haven't watched the two-parter in years, but @Wiseguy has a good question - why - was this edited? I've given a few theories, but that's all they are. Could it be that the episodes themselves were running short and the network simply filled the time with some upcoming-in-November promos? Remember November was a ratings sweeps month back then, so the networks brought out the big guns in that month.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Speaking of “The Contender”, I have the feeling from the crummy print I watched in the 1980’s,
there used to have footages of boxing training that highlit actor Robert Conrad.
The network may have found them redundant and cut them. The plot is not disturbed at all, by the way.
I believe Robert Conrad can be seen on the edited DVD episodes. It really wasn't a long scene. It's referred to as a 'cameo' in the Dossier book by Patrick White.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I haven't watched the two-parter in years, but @Wiseguy has a good question - why - was this edited? I've given a few theories, but that's all they are. Could it be that the episodes themselves were running short and the network simply filled the time with some upcoming-in-November promos? Remember November was a ratings sweeps month back then, so the networks brought out the big guns in that month.
Unlikely. If episodes ran short, more footage would be shot. The Wild Wild West has an episode that features two endings. Sorry, I still think Paramount used a rerun print of the episodes either because they couldn't find the original or the quality of the original degraded so much they knew people would complain if they used it. (See M*A*S*H's "Our Finest Hour" for another example.)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Undeniably one of the best TV series sets (Blu-ray or DVD) in my collection. My only real complaint, besides the lack of bonus features in general (I have the bonus disc frm the collectors DVD set), is that the feature film "Mission Impossible Vs. The Mob" (the theatrical version of "The Council Parts I & II") has yet to be included in any MI home media release. Ofcourse, it's possible an adequate source just hasn't been available/found.. Otherwise, the set is exemplary from top to bottom.

Now, if we could just get the 1988--'90 series remastered for Blu-ray ---- I realize the revival series doesn't have quite as many fans, but it's the right guy (Mr. Graves) lighting the fuse, and IMHO decently recreates and updates the thrilling style, intensity and intrigue of the original ---- I'd be one happy fan.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
BTW, I recently rewatched the first MI film, with Jon Voight as Phelps, the first time I’d seen it since 1996. I always disliked this film for what it did to Phelps, but upon seeing again, I realized that he did what he did for a measly payment of $10 million! The guy threw away a lifetime of work for a payday? Did these esteemed writers even watch the show? Anyway, I choose to believe that wasn’t Phelps, but some foreign agent in a mask. Phelps was rescued some time later.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I recently rewatched the first MI film, with Jon Voight as Phelps, the first time I’d seen it since 1996. I always disliked this film for what it did to Phelps, but upon seeing again, I realized that he did what he did for a measly payment of $10 million! The guy threw away a lifetime of work for a payday? Did these esteemed writers even watch the show? Anyway, I choose to believe that wasn’t Phelps, but some foreign agent in a mask. Phelps was rescued some time later.
As I recall, Greg Morris walked out on the movie due to the way Phelps is portrayed. In looking it up, he disliked it and left less then an hour into the film. His TOS co-stars also disliked the film. I never liked that Phelps was retconned too and I’ve never been able to re-watch the movie. I hope I missed some plot element that showed that it was a red herring.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I hope I missed some plot element that showed that it was a red herring
You didn’t. I made that up as the only way to stop feeling disgust. As I’ve said, the plot of this movie was like making a MASH film in which Alan Alda’s character was found to be working for the North Koreans!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks