What's new

Car top cargo holds (1 Viewer)

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Well were planing a road trip to Disneyland this summer and Im looking at purchasing a Car top cargo box.

I have found info on Thule and Yakia and was looking for some opinions of these products. I think we are going to stick around 16 cubic feet. (how many duffel bags will 16 cubic feet hold?)

It will go atop a '05 Chevy Tahoe. The wife wants it as short as possible because she does not want it covering the sunroof. It aslo has to be black but a dark grey would be ok too.

Has anyone used one of the cargo bags? Curious if they are weather tight?

How about fuel econmy will any of these products drasticly reduce my fuel econmy?

Thanks
Chris

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I have a 20 cu ft Sears carrier that was used for the 400 mi/7 hr trip from Phila to Cleveland. It holds a ton (about 5+ duffel bags). You can definitely feel the drag, though you get used to it pretty quickly. Since I felt drag I'm sure it affected gas mileage; but not dramatically. The biggest impact was on windy days, where it made the car feel very top heavy, like a lightweight van. If I have it right the Tahoe is an SUV, so you should feel all this less than with my Bonneville.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
They will affect your MPG, will be noiser, may affect your ride in heavy winds. That is to be expected, by the amount, it all depends on the conditions, not too major, perhaps a 1/2 mile less per gallon or so.

A flexible bag would also work, they make heavy plasticized rubber dry bags that you could strap down. Check out some of the paddling bags people use for rafting/canoe/kayaking trips. They typically have a rolltop closure and d-rings that connect. They are not considered 100% waterproof for immersion so don't drive into any lakes, but they are perfectly dry for rain and stuff.

I don't know if the hard cargo boxes would cover the sunroof, I do believe you have an option to mount the box fore and aft to a certain degree, but you'd have to almost try one out at a shop that has one. The flexible bag might allow you more flexibility with not covering the sunroof. However, it might be more convienient for access and tieing down securely with the cargo box.

Jay

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I have a cargo bag. Forget the brand of it. It's weather tight. A lot easier to store. Holds lots of stuff, too.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Make sure you remember it's up there when going through drive throughs or into garages etc....
I'm thinking about a platform that sllides into your reciever hitch. Use a rubbermaid tote and your all set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks