What's new

Can't get new Denon 2900 to play Diana Krall's "Live in Paris" DVD in DD 5.1 or DTS. (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
This concert DVD will only play in DD 2.0 mode. I know it's not the disc because it played fine on my old Panny and my Xbox. I even tried it in my kids PS2 w/o any problems! I've had no problem playing other concert DVD's in DD 5.1 or DTS such as Enigma, Roy Orbison, Josh Groban etc...... I have the DVD/Optical source selected on my H/K 525 but it doesn't seem to matter. Anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions?

p.s. I just wanted to add that this is the only problem I've had with this unit so far. Course I’ve only had it about a week but it's performance has been stellar otherwise. The dramatic sound difference it has made on most of my redbook CD's alone is worth the admission price. The DVD-A / SACD performance is just "Icing on the Cake"!

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
John: Thanks for the feedback. I'm at work, so I can't check it right now. But, I believe my 2900 is setup as follows:

Digital Out:

Normal...(Enabled) default
PCM......

LPCM:

Off.....(Enabled) default
On......

I'll check them when I get home. I'm confused because my other (DD 5.1/DTS 5.1) Concert DVD's work just fine. They show a 5.1 signal reading at the 2900 display and a 5.1 signal received at my H/K 525.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
John: Played around with "Digital Out" and "LPCM" settings last night with the Diana Krall DVD. No change. It will still only play in DD 2.0 mode. Damn this is strange! Even tried a few additional concert DVD's, all played DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1 without a problem.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Switch the audio format once it is playing. I have the same problem, with this disc only, with my 2200. Something about the menu system on that disc that causes the receiver to pick up and stay in Dolby stereo. It is the player, since neither of my previous players did this.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have seen that happen, with my "Planet of the Apes box set", I can't get DD 5.1 unless I start the movie then go to the DVD menu, and choose the DD 5.1 then resume the movie where it left off. Dang odd.....

I use a Philips DVD player currently.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
This thread is obviously the "John Only" thread. No one else need post or view. hehehe...jk!

John G.: Your right, it is the menu setup on this disc because when I select any one of the (3) sound options; DD 2.0, DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1, they ALL blink once (instead of just one) and the cursor then goes normally down to the main menu prompt. It's as if it's acknowledging all sound options at once. Strange, never seen that before. Hope your suggestion works, I will try it tonight. Thanks!

JosephLe

Auditioning
It happens the same on my Denon 2900 after I upgrade the new firmware to fix the lockingup disk problem. The player played this concert DVD OK before. Is this a new firmware's problem?? Anyone has the same problem or know how to work around with this please post, greatly appreciate.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I believe two work arounds were already given...

Since it seems to have happened on players other than Denon, it would appear that it is a problem with the disc and certain players, so it's a software issue, not a firm/hardware issue.

I do have another disc that has the same problem, but it occurs on ALL players that I have tried it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks