What's new

Can't find a 2-ch solution, considering Marantz 5600? (1 Viewer)

Joshua H

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
Long time since I've posted here but I've just gotta replace the old Kenwood VR-357 receiver I bought refurb'd 8ish years ago. My S38's want better.

Presently I'm in a studio apt. My thinking was to get an integrated amp/stereo receiver (i do listen to FM) with A/B for PC music & TV-DVD. But I've not found an option that takes Coax/Optical digital in. So now I'm thinking a Marantz 5600 might make more sense, and be future-proof?

I liked that Int-Amps are on audiogon for less money, but I can def. swing $450 for the 5600 on AC4L. I don't want to spend more than $600.

A pair of JBL S38's are used for music flanking the PC (fed digi-coax from mp3s). I also have a mind to put a pair of older JBL Arc-30's flanking my TV since DVD bass tends to bottom out the built-ins. I have a 2nd pair of S38's and an S-Center I plan to keep for if I move somewhere with a full living room. Dvd is also digi-coax. Sub is 12" 150W Cerwin Vega.

I previously got a nice Pioneer Elite receiver back in college but returned it shortly after because my car got stolen (doh). But I loved the fuller more powerful sound, the auto-ATCC may have helped too.

Sorry, I always feel like my new threads ramble longer than I intend. Thanks for any advice!

BrianTwig

Second Unit
I have the SR5600 and use it for 95%+ music. I have no complaints and also got it from AC4L. The multi source function is nice as well as I have it hooked up to two different rooms.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Joshua - be sure to check out the Rotel RA-1060. This is a superb 2-ch integrated amp. Rotel focuses on audiophile-grade quality, not on features. This integrated amp has an MRSP of $699, but you may be able to find her under $600.

Alternatively, you may want to look at a full-featured receiver such as a Denon AVR-2106. Enjoy!

Joshua H

Stunt Coordinator
The rotel int-amps were/are very attractive to me as I liked the rotel sound when I was auditioning back in college. That said, I don't know of a rotel (or other) integrated amp that takes digital in. I think my only option with that situation would be to use a Y-splitter from my PC for its native speakers and to the amp, and the analog outs of my $100 DVD player. Would that be preferable to using an AVR?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have the PM7200, which is class A, and I love it. I haven't heard the new PM7001, but I'm sure it is just as good. Typically, integrated amps don't include digital inputs because they are stereo only and don't include any processing - all that real estate is used for stereo performance. If you want solid musical performance and don't care about surround/multichannel in the near future, get an integrated and just feed it stereo analog. Vs the 5600, the 7200 or 7001 are going to have much more headroom.

I bought my dad a 4400, my brother has a 4200, and both sound very good. I've installed the 5200 and 5300 in standard HT setups for customers and it is a solid receiver. I installed the 5400 for a guy in a 2ch setup with some nice speakers (GR Research A/V-1s) and it did a very respectable job. I also tried my brother's 4200 with a pair of Polk LSi7s (4 Ohm) and it did surprisingly well too, without getting too hot (average listening level, not loud).

While the receivers are solid, the integrated amps are going to give you a lot more in terms of power an musicality. I'd say my PM7200 actually sounds as good as, if not a bit better, than my 8300 with monoblocks. Not quite up there with the amount of power, but it is excellent with music and more than easily fills the whole house with sound from my bedroom. It has "Setup 1" and "Setup 2", which is basically A and B speaker outs, so it can be used in 2 rooms as well. You can find these used for around $300-350.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks