What's new

Canadian vs US Releases (1 Viewer)

Adan.S

Auditioning
Hi Everyone,

Long time reader first time poster. I really enjoy this forum and all the friendly and educated members. I had a question regarding Canadian DVD releases. Are there different versions of Region 1 DVDs between Canada and the US? I am going to be travelling to Toronto next week for business and was wondering if I should take the opportunity to pick up some "Canadian version" DVDs while I am there. Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
To *my* knowledge, there are not many differences. It's R1. But I don't go looking for Canuck-specific DVD's. ;)
The only big difference is that SOME DVD's have bilingual packaging up here. (Some studios do this... not all.)
One thing you might consider, if you like Harry Potter, is Harry Potter and The PHILOSEPHER'S Stone. As opposed to the "SORCERER'S" version in the US. It's the same disk... just the title is different, and when they actually mention the philosepher's/sorcerer's stone in the movie. (They did two takes.)
Television programming-wise, I think we have a few things up here that have yet to be released in the US. We recently got the first set of CSI disks. (I think it's only half of the first season.) Also the premiere episode of Smallville.
Hmmm...thinking thinking thinking.....
That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll post again if anything else springs to mind! :D

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
There are a couple of discs that have different content up here. If you check out www.dvd-plus.com they have a whole section on Canadian exclusives (things like an anamorphic Good Will Hunting).

Carlos V III

Stunt Coordinator
Majority of the discs are identical, however there are a few Canadian exclusive R1 releases.

Also, some Canadian releases are bilingual (French). Most e-tailers indicate these by indicating "vf" after the title for "versione francais (sp?)" meaning french version.

I've primarily been purchasing box sets to take advantage of the price break and so far all sets have been totally identical to U.S. releases.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Toronto is an English speaking city, so you won't find VF releases. The worst you'll get are some ugly bilingual covers on Miramax/Universal/Paramount releases.
Most DVDs are the same. Ginger Snaps has a better SE up here, and Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone has the correct title. Trainspotting has a bit more extras, and Good Will Hunting is anamorphic. There's also an ALF disk I finally saw today at Sunrise.
HMV at 333 Yonge St (Yonge & Dundas) has a very big selection. But their prices are a bit high, and they're renovating right now, so everything is crammed and dusty.
Accross the street, Sunrise Records also has a nice selection, and prices are almost as high. But those points are moot since you're bringing American money.
Don't bother going to Sam the Record Man for DVDs. Their selection has been small since they went bankrupt and were bought by the sons of the owner.
If you want good deals, go to Futureshop, or Best Buy. Your dollar will go even further at those stores, espcially on new releases. Most are away from the downtown core though.
Oh, and it's going to be a bit cold up here next week. Low 30s.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Red Green's DUCT TAPE FOREVER feature has only been released in Canada if you're a fan of the series.

There's also the triple disc BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF special edition .

The Brit gangster pic GANGSTER NUMBER 1 with Malcolm McDowall has also been released here just as it was hitting American theatres.

YANG

Screenwriter
Generally both state release does not differ that much,especially on those titles which are distributed under one studio like BVI,FOX,PARAMOUNT,UNIVERSAL,DREAMWORKS,MGM/UA,CTHV,or WARNER.
DVDs released by ALLIANCE ATLANTIS in CANADA may be identical to U.S release by NEWLINE,MIRAMAX or so...
But there are some titles,because of independent right ownership,makes the release different from both states...an example will be BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF and LEGEND OF 1900.

CANADIAN release with biligual coverart is a real disturbing sight...to me...

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Oh yes... I just watched "Men With Brooms". I was laughin' my butt off.
...the hoards of beavers were just frightening.... ;)

Chris M

Second Unit
Keep in mind that us Canucks have been hosed on a number of occasions, ie. Red Violin, and more recently no DTS on The Crow:CE (I have the US version of both thankfully).

Oh, and our Boondock Saints doesn't have 5.1 audio or extra features.

Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks