What's new

Canadian "Bilingual" River Runs Through It Digibook.... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Has anyone ordered this from from Amazon.ca? Is it the regular digibook or is the cover bilingual?
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0029RW0FA/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB
Thanks.

Roseweed

Auditioning
Real Name
Ian
Hi,Did you ever find out if this digibook had French text. Looking for the answer myself.Thanks.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Since these Blu-ray Digibooks are printed and bound in fairly limited (usually 1st Edition) runs by the studios, they don't 'Canadianize' them via separate, even more limited runs with unique English/French artwork. Fox, Sony, MGM, Universal just take some of their U.S. Digibook stock and insert a bilingual back cover card, plus sometimes slap on a little cover sticker for Canada. But once you remove that shrink-wrap and back cover card, the Digibook itself is identical to its uniligual American counterpart. At least I've never seen a Canuck release that wasn't, and I've been buying Blu-ray Digibooks from the get-go. Under the shrink, they're identical.

Probably different in Europe, but in N. Am. that's how they handle these special book bound editions.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I have this one. It does in fact have bilingual text (the PR blurb) on the back cover only i.e. the front and spine and book contents and the BD itself are English only.

Edit: I just grabbed several more handy "Canadian" digibooks and as Steve said, this one is in fact unusual. Probably why the OP asked about it, had some inkling. Usually there is just a bilingual card shrinked to the back cover, and otherwise the digibook is identical to the U.S. one.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Interesting Craig, and yes, very rare. As luck would have it, A River Runs Through It happens to be one of the few Digibooks I don't own, and I'm stunned to hear that its back cover includes some bilingual text. Among the dozens and dozens of Digibook editions I've purchased in Canada, I've just never seen that...under the shrink with insert card removed, they've all been 100% English and identical to the pics I've seen of the American version. :huh:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I don't have dozens and dozens, just a couple dozen with a few more in the mail.

But re this one, I think I'm wrong. Looking at it more carefully, it has a glued-on sheet over the back. So carefully and neatly glued flat/smooth (not just shrinked on or attached with "globby" glue) that I didn't notice, and it doesn't easily come off. But not saying it won't come off...

It is kinda one of the cheaper-looking digibooks too, thinner and just overall cheap compared to the others.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Unfortunately Jeff will never get the answer as he is no longer with us.I have a dozen or so digi and I like them.One that I wish I picked up,along the way was Silverado.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ In what way do you mean "no longer with us"? I was kind of wondering about Jeff...

I've never even seen the Silverado digibook, and until recently I insisted on buying them in person. I'm not really a collector, but I still like to get them in good condition since after all I'm paying extra for the packaging. Amazon has mostly been coming through (Deliverance has been the only one banged up).

Actually I have a lot more digibooks than I said, I don't file them together so I missed quite a few when surveying bilingual text the other day. As far as availability, the Silverado and many other digibooks are still easily available from amazon; problem is very often there's no clue at all that it is a digibook. amazon very often uses faux BD cases to show these when they aren't even available in that package format here. This was recently an issue for me when I ordered Dr. Strangelove from amazon.ca: there's no clue except by one knowing it's not available individually any other way in region A. Sometimes amazon says "with booklet" and I've found those are always digibooks when that format is available.

I didn't get the Silverado BD because I think they messed with the color: way too green for me, doesn't look natural compared to the DVD's color (I have the tin set). Based on DVDBeaver's caps. Was hoping they'd have re-done it, I guess it's not popular enough. Another BD title (forget what) I recently watched from the same studio had the same unnatural green-ness.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks