Can you run 2 computers with one monitor/keyboard/mouse?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jim_C, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Title says it all. Without going into all the gory details (unless someone wants to know) I'd like to know if it's possible to set up a pair of PC's so they use one monitor, keyboard and mouse without unpluging each time I need the other PC. Is there some sort of switcher box that allows this?

TIA

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Yep. What your looking for is called a KVM switch (for "keyboard/video/mouse") and you can find them in many configurations. Here are a couple of examples, a USB from D-Link and a PS/2 model from Zonet. These happen to be on CompUSA.com, but any store that carries computer components and accessories will have a selection of KVMs.

Regards,

Joe

3. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

or you can use 'remote desktop' which is included in xp. im not sure about vista.

i haven't used it in 4 years, but it works. makes a remote computer a 'window' on your base computer that you can toggle to much like you do your regular windows.

4. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

KVM switch....excellent. I figured there was something out there. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Diallo, if the KVM doesn't do the job I'll try your suggestion.

5. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I've been using an ATEN KVM switch for the past couple of years with 3 computers and it has always worked flawlessly. That brand was highly recommended when I was doing my research on what to buy.

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

A no-expense and very smooth way is to get Synergy.

Synergy

Though you need two screens...

However, you use only one keyboard and mouse. The computers talk on the network and you can just seamlessly move the mouse pointer from computer to computer and type on the one keyboard. Very useful if you want to use two computers at once without switching back and forth.