Can you get a good SACD player for under $300?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Samuel_Fred, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Samuel_Fred

Samuel_Fred Stunt Coordinator

I see them listed here and there but have read reviews that say there's no point in buying these "cheap" models, since the quality difference won't even be noticeable. True?

What's a good SACD player for a modest price?

Also, do all SACD players require analog hook-up for 5.1 surround? Why not use a digital connection.

Thanks.

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

All SACD players require analog hookup for SACD playback.

The Philips 963SA is a good SACD player that can be found for around $350.

3. Samuel_Fred

Why do they require an analog connection?

Is something like the 5-CD/SACD changer by Sony (DVP-NC685V) just a piece of junk? Going for under $200.

4. Chris_C

Chris_C Agent

Chris
    There is a thread in this area that discusses a Pioneer that lists for $170.

My father picked up that Sony DVD/Sacd combo player that
    lists for $250. It is not bad.

Hope this helps

5. Chris_C

Chris_C Agent

Chris
    Due to concerns over music piracy, there are only high end players/receivers that will accept a digital connection that is proprietary to that company. These are all very expensive. Maybe when the music and hardware companies decide on a security protocal the technology will be available on cheaper equipment. I bet the proprietary systems would then be out of date.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sony SCD-222ES can be had for around $300 used, but does not play video discs.

This is not the only reason. Neither optical or coaxial digital connection types have the bandwidth to carry either hi-res format.

7. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

My Sony DVP-NS500V is amazing for the $180.00 I paid almost 2 years ago. It's not the best sounding CD player around, but with SACD, it's quite a stunning performer. The DVD playback is excellent as well, and this is without progressive scan. I am sure that are better SACD/CD/DVD players out there, but not at the $180 I paid back then.

From what I can tell, the Pioneer 563A universal player is not bad either. Comparing a player that retails for under $200 to one that's twice its price is like comparing apples to oranges....the more expensive player better be able to outperform the less expensive machine.

8. Samuel_Fred

Thanks for these responses.
    I'm totally in the dark as to what makes an "expensive" CD player SOUND better. What are we talking about here? Isn't a laser just a laser? What differences in actual sound quality will be evidenced by what technical features and/or parts? When shopping for a good CD player (SA- or not) what specifications should I be looking for that will indicate I'm looking at a machine that is one or more levels above the entry-level players?

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There are many factors that go into making a good player, but in this price range, it is most likely going to come down to the DACs, and build quality (components and construction). The laser itself is not a facor, but the mechanism that moves it can be.