What's new

Can you get a good SACD player for under $300? (1 Viewer)

Samuel_Fred

Stunt Coordinator
I see them listed here and there but have read reviews that say there's no point in buying these "cheap" models, since the quality difference won't even be noticeable. True?

What's a good SACD player for a modest price?

Also, do all SACD players require analog hook-up for 5.1 surround? Why not use a digital connection.

Thanks.

AaronJB

Second Unit
All SACD players require analog hookup for SACD playback.

The Philips 963SA is a good SACD player that can be found for around $350.

Samuel_Fred

Stunt Coordinator
Why do they require an analog connection?

Is something like the 5-CD/SACD changer by Sony (DVP-NC685V) just a piece of junk? Going for under $200.

Chris_C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
There is a thread in this area that discusses a Pioneer that lists for $170.

My father picked up that Sony DVD/Sacd combo player that
lists for $250. It is not bad.

Hope this helps

Chris_C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Due to concerns over music piracy, there are only high end players/receivers that will accept a digital connection that is proprietary to that company. These are all very expensive. Maybe when the music and hardware companies decide on a security protocal the technology will be available on cheaper equipment. I bet the proprietary systems would then be out of date.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sony SCD-222ES can be had for around $300 used, but does not play video discs.

This is not the only reason. Neither optical or coaxial digital connection types have the bandwidth to carry either hi-res format.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

My Sony DVP-NS500V is amazing for the $180.00 I paid almost 2 years ago. It's not the best sounding CD player around, but with SACD, it's quite a stunning performer. The DVD playback is excellent as well, and this is without progressive scan. I am sure that are better SACD/CD/DVD players out there, but not at the $180 I paid back then.

From what I can tell, the Pioneer 563A universal player is not bad either. Comparing a player that retails for under $200 to one that's twice its price is like comparing apples to oranges....the more expensive player better be able to outperform the less expensive machine.

Samuel_Fred

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for these responses.
I'm totally in the dark as to what makes an "expensive" CD player SOUND better. What are we talking about here? Isn't a laser just a laser? What differences in actual sound quality will be evidenced by what technical features and/or parts? When shopping for a good CD player (SA- or not) what specifications should I be looking for that will indicate I'm looking at a machine that is one or more levels above the entry-level players?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are many factors that go into making a good player, but in this price range, it is most likely going to come down to the DACs, and build quality (components and construction). The laser itself is not a facor, but the mechanism that moves it can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks