What's new

Can I Jiimy rig my Pioneer vsx 26tx for 7 speakers (1 Viewer)

Jason Trich

Auditioning
I don't have the dough to upgrade to 7 or 8 channel. If I double up the the rear surrounds inputs on the receiver, will th ohm impedance fry the amp, furthermore will it be enough to power 4 infinity IL10's (my rear and regular surrounds)

Josey M

Agent
I think i read somewhere in here that you can use an old reciever for an amp to power the rears just for an example.
I am definatly not an expert so maybe someone will chime in on this.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Jason,

Do you undertand that ES/EX formats involve processing which your receiver does not have? You could add a second speaker to the Left and Right surround terminals, but all you would be doing is replicating the same sound in both speakers hooked to their respective terminals. This could actually end up giving you worst sound quality because you would loose the directionality of a 5.1 track.

Also, it is doubtful that the Pioneer would be able to drive 4 speakers on its surround output. It is possible, but output will be lessened, your receiver is going to run very hot, and it will be next to impossible to obtain proper level matching. You are asking for trouble if you do this, and the money you dont have to spend on a new receiver will be going to fix the one you have now.

J

Jason Trich

Auditioning
Thanx J, that is exaclty as I suspected, I knew obviously that the same sounds would be replicated, I just thought I could spread it around a little bit, my main concern was the load on the amp. I really want to upgrade to vsx 47 but after spending 5000.00 on my sharp 9000 my wife will never go for it, I guess it is just 5.1 for now.

C

Chris*Liberti

Actually what you would need to do is take any prologic or prologic 2 receiver and take your receiver and put a cable between the pre-outs on the 5.1 receiver for the surround channel and plug them into the main-ins if you have them or if not into the tape inputs on the pro logic receiver. set it to this imput and set it to prologic. this will work on either DD-EX or DTS-ES Matrix. The only mode you will not get is DTS-ES discrete (but you will still get the matrix that is encoded with the discrete soundtrack).

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
I'm taking offense to the term "jimmy rig"!!!

Why couldn't it be "tommy rig" or "jason rig" for that matter!!

It's late folks...try and be humored, ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks