What's new

Can anyone else NOT get HalfLife2 working? (1 Viewer)

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Stuttering: this indicates a graphics issue or probably a graphics loading issue. Basically, your graphics are too high. I let HL2 configure my settings, and it set them too high. The initial speeches (GMan, then the City 17 administrator in the displays as you get off the train) were stuttering noticably. Cranked down textures and shadows to medium, stuttering gone. Stuttering returns if I have played several hours without a reboot (since Windows isn't very good at releasing memory properly, eating through it during a session).

Registration. There is some way to set it to let you play offline without trying to hit net each time; not sure how to do it yet. I also have to look up how to make Steam not load everytime I boot my computer, as that is total BS. It's my computer, not Valve's.

This net authentication crap is just that; crap. I am very close to placing Valve on my do-not-buy list, right up there with Verant.

Anyone know how to set HL2 for off-line mode now ?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Click settings on the main Steam window, click the Interface tab, and uncheck "Run Steam when Windows starts."

Don't know about setting it so it will play without an internet connection, I'll look around.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Okay, I just disconnected my internet connection to test it out, and it plays fine. You only need to be connected to the internet to initially validate your game.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Correct. You don't even need to connect to the internet at all after the initial validation process. Simply start Steam and it will give you the option to start in Offfline mode. You can then choose to play any of the single player games you have available. The only time the game needs an internet connection is the initial validation process. That's it.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I get stuttering too with a 6800GT, many others with decent hardware also have the same problem. I don't think it's because the graphics are up too high, a patch is needed is all.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

That was my guess as well. While I haven't experienced this in HL2 yet I was playing CS:Source last night (forgot just how fun that game is) and there were a couple of maps where I got some stuttering and I wasn't alone. Hopefully a patch comes out very soon.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Whew, just fought off a bunch of Striders. That was tough work. The combat in the city is so damn realistic. I feel like I'm in WWIII or something. This is quickly becoming my favorite game of all time. Just amazing.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
So far it's amazing, I just finished the swamp buggie part and that was lots of fun. When I play through it again I'll stop, hop out, and take down all the baddies before reaching the end.

Brent

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Fucking ridiculous. I actually buy the hardcopy Collector's edition, so as to avoid the large majority of Steam issues, only to find out that Steam still has to "validate" and "unlock" 800+ MB of files after signing me up. After that crap is supposedly done, the game refuses to load. Restart. Run Steam again, nothing indicates the game is not ready to play, still won't run. Go to the web and find out I have to check the game's properties. Only "82% done of 833MB, Not Ready". What. The. Fuck. What does it need to download 833MB of? I have the goddamned DVD (reads 2.67GB used) in the drive! By this time, it's after midnight, so I let it (and myself) percolate overnight. I tried it before work, now it loads, but the load screen is all messed up, because apparently the latest MS-certified drivers from nVidia don't work for HL2. Of course, I can't do anything until I get back home, since I have to work to have the money to spend on a useless piece of plastic that for all intents and purposes, does nothing but accompany a T-shirt, artbook, and some cardboard.

Jesus God, this game better be the best thing ever to inhabit a hard disk. From what I can tell on the various internets:), Valve and/or Vivendi screwed the pooch worse than anything that has come before.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

The certainly screwed the pooch for people that have problems, but those of us that didn't have any problems aren't complaining. Unlocking and vaidating took me about 20 minutes, and I haven't had any problems.

This may not be the most efficient way to release a game (if you buy it on CD/DVD, you shouldn't have to validate/unlock), but I'm not having any problems. I'm not exactly trying to defend the distribution method, just saying that not everyone is having trouble.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I purchased the Steam version and was playing at 00:25 PST Tuesday morning, without a problem. Beat it Thursday night.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I didn't have any "problems" but I think it is absolutely ludicrous that I spent $86.47 ($79.99 + tax) exactly to avoid this Steam mess and still spent over an hour installing this game. It took me about 10 minutes to "install" the game off the DVD before the Steam insanity began. Can anyone explain to me why two days after the game was released I waited for a freaking hour for this game to unlock all the files? I have a cable modem, and my download speeds clock in around 2-3 Mbs, I have a P4 3.2 GHz processor, 2GB of RAM, a Western Digital 74GB 10,000 RPM Raptor hard drive and a GeForce 6800 GT (not that that should have anything to do with this part). I think its absolutely inexcusable to have to validate files. If I have a store bought DVD and a keycode, there is no reason why the game can't simply communicate with a server somewhere and ask if this combination has been used on a different piece of hardware, just like Windows, Norton and several other products do. I'm terribly sorry that someone stole their precious source code, but you know what? That's not my problem.
I also don't buy their bs excuse of too many people trying to activate the game. You know, as much as they are charging, and as wide-spread as the hype for this game was, they damn well should've had enough bandwidth to handle this. The fact that they didn't shows either extreme incompetence or stupidity.
On the upside, at least it is a good game. For as long as I've been able to play it that is.
Edit: Oh, and by the way, I'm a software tester, and I learned a longtime ago that it doesn't matter how many people are not having problems. What matters is how many people are. To all those who aren't or only had to wait 20 minutes, consider yourselves lucky.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I had to wait more than an hour to "unlock" the game. It only took 15 minutes to install off the DVD.

What the fuck was steam doing all this time?

The irony: if I really wanted to, I could have gotten the grey market version of the game, and have had it installed and running in less time (I have 5 megabits of bandwidth and lots of HD space). I am serious!

But, I suppose the t-shirt and crippled strategy guide was worth it...?

In retrospect, I could have done both actually...get the best of both worlds...no guilt, and less wait time (and also, interestingly, less problems - quite a few people using Steam and the retail discs have had corrupted HL2 installs!)

Fortunately, it seems Valve has finally added a file integrity check to Steam - now you can know for sure if your HL2 install is corrupted. :)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I guess I do, but it's hard for me to get as bent out of shape about this than people who had major problems. The fact is that everything was gravy for me and my friends that preloaded off of Steam. Not saying that it leaves Valve un-accountable, just saying that the system is only flawed...not the complete disaster that some are painting.

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I have been playing, and its fun, but I am still pretty pissed about the time wasted and error messages. In fact, I disabled Steam from starting when I boot windows, because it immediately gave me an error saying it couldn't find the internet connect... NO SHIT! I have dial-up and need to establish it manually! Did this really not occurr to them or do they just not care that people get error messages on booting. Also, the first time I play, I get that error message again, and have to hit the PLAY OFFLINE button. Isn't there some way to have it ALWAYS play offline automatically? Help?

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu

Dome, just save yourself a whole bunch of money and get the Pro, as XT is a bit excessive for the average gamer. This site has reviews of the MSI and Asus releases of the x800 pro. There's also the excalibur, powercolor, and sapphire packages. I know the Sapphire x800 Pro Toxic Edition can be upgraded to what is essentially an x800 XT, if you really must have it.

Here's the link for that.

I'm soooo freaking glad I purchased this via steam and decided to sell my copy before opening it, after reading about all the problems some friends and you guys have had with authenticating and whatnot. It's absurd. Almost as absurd as the fact that all I've done so far is play Counter-Strike: Source, and none of Half Life 2 yet. :D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Most games are like that. It's a form of copy protection...to make sure you have the CD.

Steve Deacon

Stunt Coordinator
Store bought versions still have a CD check, Steam bought installs of course do not. The CD check is likely a requirement stipulated by Vivendi Universal, rather than Valve.

I doubt Valve mind too much though. It could be seen as a fuck you to all the people that said they wouldn't touch Steam, and were going to get a store bought version to avoid it.

I went the Steam route myself, and apart from a period of a couple of hours where I couldn't get back into Steam (right after playing the game for an hour or so, which was REALLY frustating), I've had no problems with it.

The idea that it authenticates every time you play seems rather draconian though, and judging by its appearance on the warez circuit, it hasn't done much to prevent piracy.

I can see as a long term goal, the idea of well off developers ditching the traditional publisher must seem very attractive, more money for them, and less hassle. It *should* also benefit the consumer too, as they could lower prices and still make more profits than they do currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks