What's new

Calling all landscapers, nature buffs, horticulturists, etc.: What is this growing in (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Okay, I don’t have anything resembling a green thumbs. I can identify some trees etc. that seem to be indigenous to our area, - pines, oaks, weeping willow, etc. – but I have no idea what these things are that have cropped up in my yard. Can someone help?

We live in the Houston area, if that helps...

The first one here has grown from what looked like some kind of shrub to nearly 20 ft. high in a mere three years. It’s in a bad location so it needs to come down. But I do need another tree in the front yard, so something that grows this fast would be great – I just need to know what it is! Here’s a close up of a branch.

The second one looks a lot like a Ficus tree, but the color and leaf shape doesn’t seem quite right. The second shot is a closer look at the leaves, if that helps.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The pics don't show up for us non-hometheatershack users.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
No it ain't.

However, with regard to the fast-growing tree for the front of the house. This may be teaching you the obvious, but be VERY careful. Some fast-growing trees have very invasive roots. Utility pipes, etc, leading on to your property may be in danger. Might be worth checking where the pipes are and go for an appropriately-rooted tree.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I can't see the pics either but it sounds like it might be a Chinese Tallow especially since you're in Texas. I went on a two week vacation once and when I came home there was a 4 foot tree in my backyard that wasn't there when I left. While it has some ornamental use it's a very invasive, fast-growing plant and the toxic sap is harmful to livestock and even other plants.

Chinese tallow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With a last name like Pflughaupt I would expect you to have exceptional horticultural skills! My last name is Pflug so I should know.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Four feet in two week? Yikes! Trust me, I know all about those dreadful Chinese Tallows - I hate those things, and if that's what they were I'd have already cut them down and dug up the roots!

Got the pics up on a different server now, hopefully everyone can see them now.

Yeah, you'd think - didn't trickle down to me! But I can wire your house for home theater or anything else you need - how do you say "wireman" in German? I need to change my name... :D

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsytems13
Recent bookmarks