What's new
World Wide Stereo

Cable - RG59 - RGB 5 (1 Viewer)

Kevin-R-S

Agent
RGB5 - 5 cable conductor for High quality video runs. Can be terminated to use for component video, s-video, rca video etc.

RG59 - Typically the old coax video cable used for simple video terminations.

What I found out was there is also an RG59 cable made by Liberty which has some similar qualities as the old RG59 but is manufactured specifically for HD terminations such as component video. This cable is actually called InterFlex SD (Interflex Serial Digital) cable. Similiar to this cable you can also buy a cable called 18CMR which can be used in the same capacity as "RG59 Interflex-SD" but is better for long runs through walls or ceilings, the 18CMR contains the same qualities as the Interflex Cable and is good for long SUBWOOFER runs.

I also found out that niether of these cables can be used for speaker connects.

Regular speaker cable preferably 14gage to 12gage with a CL rating for fire is the best.

728x90

Kevin-R-S

Agent
I kind of answered my own questions after talking to a local HT professional in my city. So I went ahead and edited my original post above to reflect the answers to my own Q's.

My second question about wiring is a little more detailed and not as green as the original post.

2nd Q...

If I want to incorporate a RF IR emitter system to control all my lights and AV equipment do I need to wire any thing prior to the Drywall going up.

I know that I will need to run CAT 5 to all my Dimmer switches and then back to the location of the RF master emitter which will most likely be located in the rack with my AV equipment.

But am I missing anything else besides the CAT 5 runs to the switches...

Also what type of switch do you guys recommend for this type of an application? Do only certain switches work with RF emitters?

Thanks

mylan

Screenwriter
Kevin, you might want to go through the "Lutron Spacer" thread on this forum for info on dimmers. As far as RG59, I would not use it at all, especially for Hi Def. RG6 is better shielded. HD needs as much signal strengh as possible.

Kevin-R-S

Agent
mylan,

I appreciate what you are saying but from what I have read and found out the "Inter-flex SD" cable is better than the RG6 cable.

When you refer to RG6 are you referring to a standard RG6 satellite cable I might buy at Home Depot? Do you suggest to use that for component and HD and Sub runs? Will this work if so it is really alot more cost effective as I can get a 1000ft role of RG6 for $125 CDN

It is my understanding the the "INTERFLEX SD"
cable is a better cable to use for terminating HD signals than a RG6 standard cable.

Can anyone confirm this...

As far as the LUTRON SPACE post.. I read it and am still unsure if this is the setup I want to go with.

I think I would prefer an RF Emitter setup rather than an IR Emitter. It is by far easier to wire for and alot easier to use considering you don't have to point at the device you want to activate... I may be off on this point if so please clarify.

Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mylan,

RG-6 and RG-59 shielding is the same. Perhaps you meant to say RG-6 quad shield?

Kevin,
All you need for analog video is 75-ohm cable. The Liberty multi will be nice because it’s all in a single cable. I used a multi from Covid in my system.

RG-59 or RG-6 will work also. However, of those two, -59 is probably a better choice simply because it’s not as stiff and unwieldy as –6. This makes it easier to deal with in the rack. Whichever you use, make sure it has a solid copper center conductor, and a copper shield. The latter might take some looking, but if it's not copper you won't be able so solder a connector to it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael Slayer
Recent bookmarks