What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

BYE BYE BIRDIE (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Just finished watching this. Worth watching just to see Ann Margret dance. Does anyone know if it was in 70mm at Radio City Music in 1963? It was their Easter show.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Peter Apruzzese said:
No. RCMH first installed 70mm gear for Airport in 1970.
I saw AIRPORT in TODD-AO at RCMH. Very impressive. Too bad the current bluray is only from 35mm source.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
John Maher_289910 said:
I don't believe BYE BYE BIRDIE played in 70MM, anywhere. It was not released as a roadshow.
Not in the US. 1963 was the first year for blowups and of the four films listed for that year on the 70mm website, only The Cardinal makes sense, and that's generally considered the first. However, for all four films listed you will see a lot of "unconfirmed" "someone reported they saw" with no hard evidence. There is an ad for Bye Bye Biride but not from the UK, from France. That ad says 70mm but I think we all know ads said many things that were not necessarily true. http://in70mm.com/library/blow_up/year/1963/index.htm

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Neither was I. The Music Hall showed a number of them and they did not look good. 35mm would have looked better.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
All the genuine 70mm of that period played roadshow. Also for some reason the head projection was against it. I have no idea why. Anyway Hunter told them they would not get the film if they refused a Todd AO print. It was a wonderful presentation and looked great at the Hall. I saw it the evening of St Pats Day and it was very crowded. Rare for the Music Hall in the 70's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks