What's new

Buffy on sale, and I need some convincing (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I liked Xander in the earlier seasons, but it seemed like in the post high school episodes, he served no purpose except for bringing Anya into the core cast, and Anya wound up one of my favorites on the series. Without her, Xander could've left and the latter seasons been just Buffy and Willow

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor

Unforuntely, that is the way TV has been over the past several years. Cutting several minutes out of syndicated episodes just to show more commericals. You can see how far we have come by checking out certain episodes of certain chows. For example, you average Buffy episode (original broadcast episode) is almost 45 minutes long, while an average episode of Dukes Of Hazzard (original broadcast episode) is around 50 minutes.

When the Dukes Of Hazzard was on the air, there wasn't a lot of time devoted to commericals hence this is the reason why older shows which are supposed to be an hr long are almost 50 minutes long while newer 1 hr shows are around 45 minutes.

BTW: I now have the complete Buffy collection. Basically put, I own a good amount of TV shows such as Buffy, Dukes Of Hazzard, M*A*S*H, Mad About You, et al but Buffy is the only one which I own all seasons.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I actually think Xander (at least until season seven when Nick Brendon was having major drinking problems which resulted in him going in to rehab right after...) was great as he was the screw-up, the not so bright one, the "normal" one yet he was the only one who could stop Willow when she went all dark-witchy. There is a great scene (at least I feel it is) where he consoles Dawn after she finds out that she isn't a "potential" and he comments on how hard it is to be in the Scooby gang and be "ordinary"
He is an interesting character as he is simultaneously very loyal yet incredibly selfish.

but what do I know...

;)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I have completely ignored this Buffy thread...only because there are just so many Buffy related threads you can read before you go Buffy bonkers!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

That's the reason I ordered the box, which came today!
Everyone raving about Firefly convinced me to buy that one, and I loved it.
Of course, you can watch Firefly in a weekend....Buffy is gonna take a little longer.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
ALOT longer but a great ride if you go with it. It really gets up to speed by season 2. By season 5 you'll feel like you've known the characters all your life... But it is unique. It isn't scary in the same way that other spooky shows are and isn't funny in the same way other shows are funny. It's it's own beast for better or for worse and not for everyone. Which in a way is cool. Buffy/Angel fans are pretty hardore, usually very interesting, creative and deep people.

:)

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor

Well, I got my complete Buffy collection thru the mail on Saturday August 19,2006. I've only watched the 1st season & most of the second season. I've also seen season 6 (episodes (on FX) from Normal Again upto Grave with the exception of Two To Go) & season 7 (On FX) (episodes from Lessons upto The Killer In Me with the exceptions of Show Time & Potential).

I can tell ya, the episodes which I have seen from season 2, season 2 really got upto speed & the episodes were much better than season 1 but that's because season 1 was just the beginning of Buffy.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Definitely people who are into the macabre should get this show, but it's great because it's also comic at the same time, at least, it has been through the first two eps of Season 3. I never watched the show while it was on the air, and I'm sorry I missed it. I highly recommend it to newcomers. I lucked in buying ``Buffy'' half off last year when Amazon had a sale, which I noticed while scrolling through my wish list. Found cheap sets of ``Charmed'' and ``The Simpsons,'' as well as ``M*A*S*H'' that way, too. Just finally sprang on ``Star Trek: TNG'' the first five seasons, as well.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

When Buffy ended there was this huge Buffy auction from Fox on EBAY, and I got the phone that Sarah Michelle Gellar used in the season 5 episode "The Body". the last minutes of the auction were stressful to say the very least.
I never collected anything like props from shows I liked, but Buffy isn't any old show either. If your into it, you become part of the Buffy realm. To quote the creator of Buffy Joss Whedon "I don't want to create responsible shows with lawyers in them, I want to invade people's dreams". For all the fans of Buffy that's exactly what he does.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

He's also said something along the lines that he doesn't want to make shows that people WANT to see, but shows that people HAVE to see.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yep and I agree totally.
Nice score, Bryan!
Eugene, it gets even better. Season 3 is considered the best by many...
but I wouldn't watch any later eps. on FX anymore. They are edited and Buffy will have more impact going in sequence. I actually screamed out loud at work at the end of the Season 5 finale! I worked at a B'way theater backstage and every tuesday nite had Buffy on during the show, "The Dinner Party" which had John Ritter in it. He guested (awesomely too) in the S2 ep. "Tim" and he told me that he loved being on Buffy and loved the show. Always said, "cool. Buffy's on..." on tuesday nites when he'd walk past me to go onstage... Good memories. He was a great guy and is very missed.

:)

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter

Wow...that is so cool Dave..."Ted" is actually one of my favorite episodes...I always really liked John Ritter, he seemed like a really cool guy to me.

And yes, Buffy is best when viewed in order. I think I would also have to throw my hat in for season 3 being the best. Although there are plenty of great episodes in season 2 (where they really started to find themselves as a show...), season 3 is really my favorite.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor

Well, I finally finished watching season 2 of Buffy several days ago & it was an excellent season. I've watched a few episodes from season 3 on from my Buffy DVD collection & the episodes really do get better. I still have seasons 3,4,5,6,7 left to watch but Buffy is one show where you feel for the characters, et al.

I only saw the 1st 2 episodes of season 3 but they were great espically Anne which had great fight scenes between Buffy & her enemies.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Thanks for all the info, everybody!

After the WB showed the pilot again (right before the merge to CW) I decided to give it a shot. Four months later, I have five episodes left and I'm seriously considering picking up The Chosen Collection.

I'm also following along with Angel on TNT (thank you DVR!) and while I'm interested, it's not nearly as compelling as Buffy.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

Yeah, there are a lot of people who will argue that with you.

Just occurred to me: People used to ask if you are an Elvis person or a Beatles person. People in our little corner of the world can identify ourselves as either a Buffy person or an Angel person.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Finished!

Wow. That may have been the best written sci fi show ever broadcast. At the time it aired, I was saying it was nowhere near as good as The X Files. Now I realize it's better. While X Files hit its peak midway and slowly got worse and worse, Buffy got better and better every season, and went out on top. That is rare in a series.

I need to get the Chosen Collection now!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone say that before. :) Like most shows, I generally see people whine on and on that the last couple seasons of Buffy are "not as good as good as the show used to be".

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

well, IMO, season 7 was tedious with too much screentime revolving around the potentials and not enough Anya, Willow, Xander (especially compared to season 6 where just about each actor got equal share) and too many episodes with nothing going on. But... IMO, seasons 5 and 6 are almost as good as 2 and 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks