What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Brian Jones (and the Rolling Stones) (1 Viewer)

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Brian Jones, he with the huge bags under his eyes, was truly the shining star of that group. Mick Jagger was the singer, Keith Richards was the gritty train-wreck, Charlie Watts was the guy who apparently was never a young man, and Brian Jones...well.

I never knew too much about him, other than the fact that he died in 1969, and that I really thought the Stones had some nicely unique music that died with Jones. Through further research, I found out that

a) Jones started the group by placing an ad in a music magazine to get like-minded musicians together, recruiting both Mick Jagger and Keith Richards

b) Jones named the group (after a song by Muddy Waters)

c) Jones was murdered by his building contractor a few months after the Stones fired him from the band

I knew that Jim Morrison thought enough about him to write a poem titled To Brian Jones - Deceased; the Beatles thought enough about him to have him play sax on their song You Know My Name (Look Up The Number).

But apparently the group thought much of Jones, as well, because practically every album cover features him 'front and center.'

Although Brian Jones didn't write any of the hits, he contributed to them (next to Jones name on any given album, you'll see that he played the most instruments, such as Guitar, Marimba, Bells, Dulcimer, Sitar, Piano, Organ, Harpsichord, Harmonica).

I don't think there's much written documenting exactly what role Jones played in the creation of the songs, but maybe there is? What would be the best book on the subject?

I know they made a movie on Jones, called Stoned, but I heard it wasn't very good (or accurate).

Seems a lot can be said about Brian Jones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandallFlagg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale