What's new

Brady Bunch Reboot & Blu-ray transfer, might it be? (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well, I browsed over at the Star Trek: New Voyages FB page and couldn't resist asking about a possible UHD Blu for ST-TMP. Got a very interesting response from Scott Keppler.

Nothing really definite but according to the response, seems something might be afoot with The Brady Bunch.

(and if we're lucky, I might be retiring my Shag Carpet Edition DVD sometime in the near future).

They talked about a ST-TMP Director's Cut blu as well and confirms pretty much what we've been talking about here.

Draw your own conclusions:

FB_ScreenCapture_StarTrek.jpg

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I would be delighted--and monumentally surprised--if THE BRADY BUNCH came to BD. Here's hoping.

As the decades go by, it remains one of the ten most re-watched shows I own. The DVDs are so uneven, a BD set would be a real treat.

I couldn't give a hoot about the reboot, but I'm happy for fans who are excited.

As for ST:TMP:TDE, I don't see it happening. I count myself lucky to have it on DVD.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
The Brady Bunch on BD would be awesome. My only concern, is when Paramount originally released the show onto DVD, they had to piece in 16mm bits of film with the 35mm film stock, as the full length episodes were either lost, or not available. If they still do not have access to the full length episodes, Bluray will only highlight the blown up 16mm image when it appears.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
jim_falconer said:
The Brady Bunch on BD would be awesome. My only concern, is when Paramount originally released the show onto DVD, they had to piece in 16mm bits of film with the 35mm film stock, as the full length episodes were either lost, or not available. If they still do not have access to the full length episodes, Bluray will only highlight the blown up 16mm image when it appears.
Hi Jim!

There was a single 14 second occurrence in the third last Episode of the BATMAN '66 TV Series, in which I suspect lower grade Film Stock had to be used at around the 15 minute mark. Thankfully, that was all I noticed, as the difference in visual quality was rather obvious!

Hopefully, in the case of THE BRADY BUNCH, at least some of the missing 35mm elements have been found, though in my opinion, any lack thereof shouldn't be a deterrent to releasing this series on Blu-ray, as it should still be an improvement!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
My guess is Paramount/CBS possibly outsourcing this to a third party company, who is willing to take all the risk of releasing this on bluray.

ie. The usual suspects: Olive, Shout Factory, VEI, Image, etc ...

(Image released CBS shows like Twilight Zone and The Dick Van Dyke Show on bluray).

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
jcroy said:
My guess is Paramount/CBS possibly outsourcing this to a third party company, who is willing to take all the risk of releasing this on bluray.

ie. The usual suspects: Olive, Shout Factory, VEI, Image, etc ...

(Image released CBS shows like Twilight Zone and The Dick Van Dyke Show on bluray).
Assuming this is what happens, with the possible exception of Image Entertainment, I wouldn't expect any additional 35mm elements being sourced.

By the way, does anyone know whether the digital scans that were sourced for the DVD set are 1080p?

CHEERS! :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I guess a backup copy of BB (on DVD) is on hold! Would absolutely upgrade to blu. And director's STMP on blu would be a dream come true. I'm still watching DVDs because of that.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Tony Bensley said:
Assuming this is what happens, with the possible exception of Image Entertainment, I wouldn't expect any additional 35mm elements being sourced.

Does Image Entertainment invest in extensive restorations, that the other third party companies do not do?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Instead of The Brady Bunch on Blu or a reboot of the series, I'd really rather have The Brady Bunch Hour (a complete series release since only two episodes have been released to date), The Brady Girls Get Married, The Brady Brides, A Very Brady Christmas and The Bradys getting a proper release for the 50th anniversary.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Brian Himes said:
Instead of The Brady Bunch on Blu or a reboot of the series, I'd really rather have The Brady Bunch Hour (a complete series release since only two episodes have been released to date)

I strongly suspect music clearances will be a huge stumbling block for The Brady Bunch Hour.

According to the wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brady_Bunch_Hour

there are performances by big names like: The Osmonds, Tina Turner, etc ...

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
There are only 9 episodes. If Rhino can clear all 6 episodes of Pink Lady and Jeff, The Brady Bunch Hour shouldn't be that much more difficult. As neither CBS nor Paramount own the series, I doubt they'd be involved in the first place. I'd just like to see all of the rest of the Brady shows get released before any Blu-ray or reboot happens. Any Blu-ray edition of the original series will need to be sourced from the original 35mm elements and as has been stated, parts of those were not able to be located for the DVD release. A Blu-ray edition isn't going to look that much better and could look even worse than what has already been released. If CBS/Paramount wants to mark the 50th anniversary, fine. Re-release the original series and all of the other Brady shows owned by CBS/Paramount that haven't been released individually. Personally, I don't see a reboot being all that successful and a Blu-ray edition of the original series isn't going to be much of an improvement. Try releasing stuff that hasn't been released before.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Tassler has stepped down from CBS, wonder what will happen to the reboot project?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks