What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Boyhood (2014) (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The story/dialog/performance part of Boyhood is merely good -- it's nowhere near as engaging as, say, Before Midnight. If they had shot the movie in the course of a few months with different actors playing the kids and using make up, costume, and set design to note the passage of time, it would have been just okay. But the experience of watching the actor age 12 years and seeing time flow for real is mind blowing. It gives the movie a verisimilitude that has never been equaled in scripted cinema. I want to say that the movie is good but not great, but that's not true -- it's an amazing, epic achievement. And I can't even say it's for reasons outside of the movie, because everything in the movie is inextricably linked to the way it was shot.

In the end, Boyhood is more of a achievement in moviemaking than a movie. Sort of like Gadsby, the novel written without the letter E. But that book is just a novelty that's collecting dust now -- Boyhood deserves to be seen.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As I said in the Oscar thread, I was underwhelmed by it all. An interesting experiment however one that did not resonate with me. Sitting on it for a few days has only reinforced my opinion that it was mediocre. And without the "gimmick" it's even less of an entertainment. I just didn't care about the characters and that what the film is about.

Glad others have enjoyed it and I'm sure it'll clean up at the Oscars but for me.....meh.

I would give it ** out of ****

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
As I said in the Oscar thread, I was underwhelmed by it all. An interesting experiment however one that did not resonate with me. Sitting on it for a few days has only reinforced my opinion that it was mediocre. And without the "gimmick" it's even less of an entertainment. I just didn't care about the characters and that what the film is about.

Glad others have enjoyed it and I'm sure it'll clean up at the Oscars but for me.....meh.

I would give it ** out of ****

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just watched the movie. Miles better than Birdman. It should have won the best picture Oscar. Apart from the hard task to film this over 12 years, they could not re-shot or add things later. Everything had to be correct on the year they shot it. And putting the story aside, what made this excellent that you will not feel until you see the whole movie, is the real aging process has a great impact. When you actually see everyone age in front of your eyes, it engages and makes you think about so many things. 10/10.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As I have said before, I thought Birdman was better than Boyhood in every way. And now that a year has passed since its release, I don't think Boyhood will stand the test of time. Birdman will.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Boyhood with all the praise and critical love just didn't do a thing for me. I wanted to like it but just wasn't for me. Had Very high hopes and the trailer made me nearly get emotional. Just fell flat.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You don't need to like the characters. Just seeing the people get older in front of your eyes and knowing that like decisions in real life, they couldn't go back and change stuff, makes you think about your life and how every decision you make have lasting consequences. That's something you can't achieve with an actor in makeup.

The movie might seem bleak but I think it ended on a nice hopeful tone.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I loved Boyhood and I would watch a sequel if Linklater makes one, but I'm not terribly excited about the idea.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Instead, ask Ethan and Julie if they want to make another 'Before' film, call it 'After.......'.

There was some discussion about that in the press a while back. They all agreed not to do it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought this was a terribly dull film and easily Linklater’s worst. Beyond the gimmick of filming the actors through the years which was interesting I didn’t think film had much to offer.

Ymmv of course.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I thought this was a terribly dull film and easily Linklater’s worst. Beyond the gimmick of filming the actors through the years which was interesting I didn’t think film had much to offer.

Ymmv of course.
You feel about this masterpiece the way I feel about that other masterpiece: Titanic.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That's true. I enjoyed the sinking of the ship. That was very well done.
To be fair I haven’t seen this film in 9 years. But I distinctly remember pretty much hating it. Perhaps I’ll give it another viewing. I do own it as I purchased it blind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks