What's new

Boo Hoo! My Sony MDS-JA555ES minidisc deck goes in for repair tomorrow. :o( (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, it is true that I got a bum unit, but I still have to go with what I heard with the '17D. In my system and to my ears, the '17D was harsh. I will concede that by the time I was able to listen to it, I had pretty much decided that I would be returning it because of the TOC errors. However, that doesn't change what I heard.

As for the analog inputs on the '17D and other MD decks, that's something I don't use. I have a modest LP collection and haven't copied them to MDs (or CD-Rs). I would bet the 'JA555ES has a quality analog input section (A/D converter, etc.), but who knows.

In any event, FedEx tracking says my 'JA555ES will arrive at Sony facility in Mass. today. We'll see what happens.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Keith,

I'm sure you already feel this way but, let me say...just don't expect anything and ya might get pleasantly surprised... I hope they do right by you.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip, thanks. By now, I am expecting nothing from Sony regarding the repair of my 'JA555ES. Using FedEx online tracking, I know the player arrived at Sony's repair facility outside of Boston today. We'll see what they can do with it.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
From what I read about The MJ-707D and the Elite version, years ago, they had the exact same sound. As far as I'm concerned Pioneer Elite has always meant better built and not neccessarily better sounding or better picture. This was the case with some of their laserdisc players like the Elite version of the Pioneer CLD-704. It was just better built. Same with their DVD/Laserdisc combi players. Then there's the DV-05 and DV-09 DVD players, which in this case are both Elite. They had the same audio and video as well with the DV-09 just being better built with marginally better CD quality.

Jeff

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, while I would like to keep this thread on the subject of minidisc, I think you will readily find people who will disagree with you about sound and picture quality of Elite components. Rachael B, who is a laserdisc expert and who has participated in this thread, has always spoken highly of the video performance of the CLD-704. However, she has stated that the top Elite models such as the CLD-97 and CLD-99 are better. I have also read many comments from people saying that the '704 was the best non-Elite LD player.

Similarly, I have always heard it said that the DV-09 outperformed the DV-05 in all respects. Admittedly, I have no experience with these components (the DVD or LD players), but I have read a lot of comments that conflict with yours. Just another viewpoint on the matter.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Keith, enquiring minds want to know, que pasa?
As Keith noted Elite LD playes are better. They always sound better and the top of the line models yield a better picture too. I'd expect that the Elite minidisc deck has a better build and better DAC's if nothing else....

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Rachael. Believe me, I am keeping on Sony on this one. The 'JA555ES arrived at the Westwood, MA, facility on Tuesday, so I will be checking in with them periodically.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Keith
Besides my initial "inconvenience" with my JB940 deck, I can really recommend it. I thought that it would be another lemmon like the infamous JE510 when it failed after three weeks, but after the unit got replaced everything has been all right (knocks wood). It may not be the ultimate compared to the JA555ES but I'll bet you'll find it damn close.
I too do not find anything useful with MDLP, certainly did not buy it for that reason, but the deck offers other interesting capabilities like scale factor edit and holds a lot of features in comparison with a true ES deck. Not to mention that it has a full set of analog/digital ins & outs in contrast with the Pioneers. And the DAC's, real reason why I replaced my JE520 to complement the D3 deck (BTW, very good for the money and for fast dubs!), and very good sound if you ask my opinion.
I've been following the thread since my last post. And surprised about the great support among the fellow members. Looks like nobody forgets ;) It's the best thing about this forum and the main reason I love it.
Best wishes

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Here's a stupid question for MD, CD, CD-R (and even DAT) folks: (Or just "digital recording" in general...)
Atrac and MP3 are digital compression algorythms for music.
Having used MD machines for the past 4 years or so, I would say that Atrac is pretty darn transparent. And, I don't know enough to state for a fact, but I would say that me, myself, and I: I would prefer Atrac over MP3 for sound quality.
So, I wonder why Sony never thought of using Atrac as a compression algorythm for CD-R's? (Basically, instead of MP3.)
Being able to get 7 hrs (or so) of of high quality music on a CD-R would certainly be a selling point to me! :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, good question. I don't know if there are any technical issues with using ATRAC on CDs analogous to MP3. Of course, ATRAC-encoded CDs would not offer the flexibility of MD, but one could still fit a lot of music on a CD with ATRAC. My guess is that Sony has chosen to push the MD format for all its worth, and ATRAC-encoded CDs would compete with it. In way, Sony would be cannibalizing itself.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Little known fact:

Sony's movie theater only miltichannel sound system SDDS is multiple channels of ATRAC compressed PCM.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Phil!
See? ATRAC rules! :)
Well, maybe once Sony realizes that MD has reached the height of its penetration into the US (and other markets), maybe they'd think about using ATRAC for CD-R's.
Kind of like Microsoft giving away it's browser for free, which doesn't seem like a good idea at 1st, but then you realize the subtle benefits that they *do* get from that...
"It's all just digital anyway..." :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Philip,
You are a wealth of information. ;) Thanks. Very interesting.
Barton,
I missed your post prior to submitting my last post. Glad to hear your replacement 'JB940 is working well. That's great news! As you may have noticed in this thread, I have a 'JB930 in my second system. In fact, it was in my main system until I bought the 'JA555ES. The way things have gone with the 'JA555ES, I should have left well enough alone. The 'JA555ES was a killer deck (when it worked ;)), but the 'JB930 served me very, very well in the main system. It is now serving me very, very well in my second system. I love that deck. I was absolutely thrilled with it the day I got it. It has performed like a champ. Build quality is very solid, and the sound is excellent using its Current Pulse DAC.
By the way, I also have an MXD-D3 in my second system to go with the 'JB930. It may be ridiculous to have three MD decks, but when the 'JA555ES was in place, all three served a purpose. I do most of my dubbing from CD to MD with the 'D3 since the high-speed dubbing is so convenient. Then, I use the keyboard input on the 'JB930 for disc and track naming. In the second system, I use the 'JB930 exclusively for playback. The 'D3 is just for recording. The 'JA555ES was used almost exclusively for playback. I used it occasionally for recording from CDs.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Keith

Since I had been screwed in the past by Sony's lame service support and terrible experiences like yours, I truly feel your pain. In fact, when the infamous JE510 developed the "turn on bug", and consequently ended at the authorized service center, little did I know what was ahead of me. The experience I had with them was almost carbon copy of yours. To make it short, they screwed up the plastic front panel so badly I thought I was buying a used gear. BTW you and I share the same, if not insane, care for our beloved equipment. And they thought I was kidding when I demanded a front panel replacement. Eventually the problem persisted and again, they virtually destroyed the deck's appearience. Oh, the problem never was "fixed" so I sold it.

Latter got a JE520. Performed like a tank for 3 years. Added the also excellent D3 for dubbing entire albums and exchanging music with friends. And recently replaced the very good JE520 with the JB940 as an upgrade (you know, sound quality, built, features, etc.) After the JB940 issue, everything is fine. Results? Anger at Sony (not because of one issue, don't get me started with the long history of Sony crap quality I've endured), I won't trust it nor consider it no more. Jeez! I I use to swear by this brand, and look at nothing else but Sony at my purchasing decisions.

So, in your actual debate with Sony, and after personal experiences I recommend that you should never give up, never accept their terms and NEVER BACK OFF! Do not accept the faulty unit, do not accept multiple repairs and do not accept anything else than your money or a NEW replacement deck.

All that said, I wish you the best luck and judgment.

P.S. Sony still makes great screens, none of my TVs and computer displays have misbehaved in any way.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Barton, yes, it does sound like our experiences with Sony share certain similarities. If I were dealing with a CD or DVD player, I would likely have given up on the unit by now and bought a good offering from another manufacturer. However, this is a minidisc deck, and options in the US are very limited. The fact is that I doubt I can find a deck by another manufacturer that will sound as good as the 'JA555ES. The Pioneer Elite MJ-17D certainly didn't cut it, aside from the fact that it gave TOC errors. The sound quality wasn't there. The frustrating thing is that despite the fact that the drawer on the 'JA555ES died after six months, I feel compelled to defend the quality of the unit. I have to think that the failure of my 'JA555ES was a coincident. In my opinion, Sony ES components are high-quality, and the 'JA555ES was a wonderful component when it was in my stable. The fact that it died is most unfortunate, and dealing with Sony repair is something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Keith- Ever think that this thread would get this long? :)
But I bet, you wish that it hadn't needed to be this long... ;)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Keith

Since I had been screwed in the past by Sony's lame service support and terrible experiences like yours, I truly feel your pain. In fact, when the infamous JE510 developed the "turn on bug", and consequently ended at the authorized service center, little did I know what was ahead of me. The experience I had with them was almost carbon copy of yours. To make it short, they screwed up the plastic front panel so badly I thought I was buying a used gear. BTW you and I share the same, if not insane, care for our beloved equipment. And they thought I was kidding when I demanded a front panel replacement. Eventually the problem persisted and again, they virtually destroyed the deck's appearience. Oh, the problem never was "fixed" so I sold it.

How interesting. My component MiniDisc deck had the "turn-on" bug. I took it in for repair. The repair cost more than $100, and while they didn't mess up the front panel, the problem has come back. I now unplug the thing whenever it is not in use.

To add insult to injury, I checked the model number and it is the (as this thread describes it) "infamous" JE510!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,
I certainly wish this thread had never even started. However, it has been educational. :)
Thomas,
I'm glad I never owned the 'JE510. Based on what I have read about it over the years, had I bought one, I would just be waiting for it to die. That's no way to enjoy this hobby. :) Of course, I'm not sure I will ever have confidence in the 'JA555ES again, assuming that I ever get it back from Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks