What's new

Bojack Horseman (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Imagine if “Mad Men” was about a washed up actor from a ‘90s sitcom. And the actor is a horse. And the whole thing is animated. But it’s as biting and incisive as AMC’s Mad Men. When it’s not being a completely ridiculous cartoon.

And J.K.Simmons plays a turtle. And Margo Martindale plays Character Actor Margo Martindale.

It’s also really offensive. Because Bojack is a terrible person...horse...horseperson. Kinda like Don Draper. If he were a horse.

And amazing.

You wouldn’t like this show. Unless what I just wrote makes complete sense. Then clear out your weekend and start downloading.

Netflix Exclusive.

https://www.netflix.com/title/70300800

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3398228/

P.S. How did I just find this show?
P.P.S How is there no thread on this show?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Season 5 is out as of last night! I've downloaded it to my iPad to watch over the next two weeks of travel! :rock:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Very late to this party, but my spouse and I just finished a complete watch of all 77 episodes. We watched one episode a night.

In a word: wow.

This is the second best thing on Netflix (behind Dark).

One of the most real shows on TV. Some episodes are high art (usually the penultimate episode each season).

An honest, gut wrenching portrayal of depression, grief, substance abuse, responsibility, redemption, relationships, and existential nihilism ever to grace the small screen.

It's also quite funny. But make no mistake: this isn't a comedy show. It's a serious drama about the spiral of the title character.

Fantastic voice acting from everyone, but especially the leads, Will Arnett, Alison Brie, Aaron Paul, Amy Sedaris, and Paul F. Tompkins.

The animation is stylistic, and might not be everyone's cup of tea. But it's often beautiful in its own way. Some of the episodes (again, usually each season's penultimate episode) have sequences that made me gasp.

Don't sleep on Bojack Horseman. But if you take the plunge get ready for a wild ride.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
It's also quite funny. But make no mistake: this isn't a comedy show. It's a serious drama about the spiral of the title character.

Binged it during the early part of the pandemic when my daughter was home. It is pretty uniquely balanced between the comedy/satirical aspects and the gut punches from the drama. Great show. I'm kind of surprised there wasn't much discussion in this thread.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You wouldn’t like this show. Unless what I just wrote makes complete sense.
...Or you look at the cast and realize this ensemble couldn't be anything short of intriguing. While probably not suitable for everyone's taste, Will Arnett is a comedic genius reminiscent of Will Ferrell IMHO. Pairing him with the usually sedate Alison Brie was genius and you also can't go wrong with Aaron Paul.

For me this series illustrates perfectly why I love Netflix. There's always a variety of obscure content to sample. If I like it, great. If not, I move on to the next show.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Binged it during the early part of the pandemic when my daughter was home. It is pretty uniquely balanced between the comedy/satirical aspects and the gut punches from the drama. Great show. I'm kind of surprised there wasn't much discussion in this thread.
I've found that my tastes in TV shows have become increasingly divergent from the core HTF TV crowd. :) There seemingly isn't a lot of viewing of these sorts of shows here in recent years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks