What's new

Bob Roberts SE DVD oar? (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I recently purchased this online and it arrived today. To my dismay, it states on the back "Formatted from it's original version to fit your screen." Then below it states "Presented in the original 1.33:1 format of it's original theatrical exhibition."

Which statement is true? Woundn't the correct oar be 1.85:1?

By the way, this is an Artisan SE.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Artisan puts confusing wording about AR on most DVD packages. According to the IMDB, the correct AR is 1.85.

Al Stuart

Stunt Coordinator
I believe this was shot on 16mm if my memory of one of the commentaries is correct. I have a vague recollection of the LD being matted at 1.66, but 1.33 could be correct. With Artisan it is always impossible to tell.

Does anyone know anything definitive about this? I've searched the internet and can't find anything very definitive at all.

Well, this is interesting. I broke down and bought the Bob Roberts Special Edition DVD. Though the outside of the box indicates it is full screen, it appears to be anamorphic widescreen. On my HD TV on the Pic 7 zoom setting it shows non-anamorphic transfers as widescreen within a fullscreen frame whereas this fills out the whole HD screen. I'm kind of surprised by the apparent lack of interest in this title. It is one of the best reviewed films at Rotten Tomatoes, sitting at 100% with 35 counted reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks