What's new

Bluray Player - Bitstream Capable (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hi All,
Up to this point I've been using an old fat ps3, which doesn't do bitstream for HD audio. I will be getting my first receiver and set of speakers. Since I'm spending some money on this, I want to get the most out of it.
I'm not sure if there is a difference by using the PS3 for PCM vs Bitstream in terms of sound quality. I'm not really one to listen to the secondary tracks.
I've done some searching but couldn't find anything to answer my question.
Will PCM be the same as bitstream? If not, I'd be interested in purchasing a Sony BDP590. Any impressions on this player? I don't need any smart apps or streaming... just a simple BD-player that will do bitstream to my receiver.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
PCM means the player decodes the audio formats.
Bitstream means the receiver decodes them.
If both can do it, pick one. I doubt you could tell a difference. The "big difference" is if you set the BD player for Bitstream...all the "cool lights" light up in your AVR.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Ha! Lights are fun....
Okay- if the difference is minimal, then I guess there's no need for upgrading anything. I will not be playing the volume extremely loud.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you "want lights" you could always pick up a used Sony 350 or Panny BD35.
Neither is 3D and they sold in droves. They don't have "apps" and they use wired lan. Last I saw on Fleabay, even with shipping, either could be snagged for under $40, often as little as $30.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, you can read all over the "PS3 forums" about "dead drives"..."best BD player there is" and everything else.
To me, it is better for your PS3 to play your DVD and "regular" BD on a $30 throw-a-way...than fry your PS3 drive...but that is just my opinion.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Normally I stream movies using the PS3 Media Server. I used to strip out the HD audio, since I couldn't use it anyway.
For movies such as VC1 codes, or other movies that are just what I consider "awesome" I'd use a disk.
I am really contemplating getting either a BD player for actual BD playback or using a HTPC for everything all in one. My video card can bitstream out to my receiver. The HTPC also has a BD-ROM drive.
The problem is if I move it to my livingroom, I may need to purchase a desktop PC later. I'm trying to figure out what is the best overall solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks