What's new

3D Blu-Ray recommendations? (1 Viewer)

NYRFaninBoston

Auditioning
Real Name
ben
Hi, I am looking for an affordable blu-ray player. The Sony BDPS590 gets consistently good reviews. What about models like the Sony BDP-BXX58? Or similar models from other brands? Any info is appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The difference between the BDP-S and BDPBX is where you buy it. Nothing more.
The BX58 is last years S580.
I always recommend buying the same brand TV and BD, makes the remote simple. Otherwise...they are the "same enough"...pick the one that has the on-screen set-up you like best.
Now if you want Qwerty remote...SACD/DVD-A playback...Twin HDMI...then we need more info. Otherwise, at $100-ish...pick one.

NYRFaninBoston

Auditioning
Real Name
ben
so basically, the brand makes little difference? I have an LG TV, but have read not-so-great reviews on their blu-ray. Leaning toward sony or panasonic, buit at $100, I'm probably making too big a deal out of it.
Thanks for your help though!!

NYRFaninBoston

Auditioning
Real Name
ben
You're right... for some reason I was under the impression sony wqas getting better reviews, but it seems that LG gets good reviews too. Thanks.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I thought someone was asking for movie recommendations. Maybe someone could add "player" to the header since this is about players not blu-ray.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
LG players generally get poor marks for reliability from owner reveiws at various sites. For example they are currently Consumer Reports top rated players but the owner reviews on the same site are dismal due to reliability issues.
I've never bought a source device just because it was the same brand as the tv just for the sake of remote compatibility--that's what Harmony remotes are for.
The general consensus is that Oppo makes the best Blu Ray players but at a fairly high price. Of the mass market players I'd go with Panasonic or Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks