What's new

Blu-Ray --- Need some purchasing advice please. (1 Viewer)

KingOfQueensFan

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Alright, so I bought the Samsung 4665f a few months back and have a Sony 5 Disc HDMI upscaling dvd player but no Blu-Ray player. My brother has a PS3 and just got his 5 movie rebate so I hooked his PS3 up to my TV since he has a low end lcd tv. I watched Pearl Harbor and the Transporter 2 so far (are those . My first impression is that yes, it looked good, but it didn't hurt that I never seen these movies before.

So my question is.... are action more worth purchasing on blu ray than comedies because to me a better picture with action is a must where a comedy does it make a difference? However, with action though you really can't watch them over and over like comedies. What movie transfers are good, what are bad? What are must gets on Blu-Ray? Anyways, any advice on any of these questions would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

P.S. I don't even have HD for Directv yet so I am use to the standard quality. Basically, I am trying to decide not only what to purchase but do I really need Blu-Ray since I am so use to this lower quality. Also, when you have 1,000s worth of tv shows on standard dvd you kind of figure where will it end. (Do I really want to make myself repurchase these all in blu ray when technology constantly changes.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Genre doesn't really make a different for what is better. For me personally, now that I have started watching movies in HD (both formats) I want that experience for all the movies I watch. Having a comedy look good is just as important as an action film to me.

Keep in mind that you don't have to go buy a bunch of films, you can rent the titles you want at some stores or on-line.

As to what transfers are good or bad, you can find titles discussed here, or you can visit this link for a list of titles that have been reviewed.

As to your question about if you really need Blu-ray, that is a question that only you can answer. If you liked the experience when you had your brothers PS3 hooked up and you have the funds available go for it. If you don't see the value in it or can't afford it at the moment there is nothing wrong with waiting until you do.

KingOfQueensFan

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Thanks Adam. I checked at my local family video a month or so ago and they didn't know when they would have hd/blu ray rentals. Maybe just some stores have them.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Some BlockBuster locations have them. Netflix and BlockBuster on-line both have them as well. I think it will be a while before the smaller video stores carry either HD DVD or Blu-ray.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Good advise so far. All movies benefit from HD. Upgrade or replace them if you feel the film is necessary for you to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks