What's new

Blu-ray Disc Coating (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

By Warner more than Paramount, I think. One has to remember that Dolby Digital Plus is little more than a brand for HD DVD. For example, Sleepy Hollow, which has been released both on Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD, both have the same bitrate Dolby Digital track. However, one is called Dolby Digital Plus on HD DVD vs. Dolby Digital on Blu-ray Disc because it is in the spec on one (HD DVD) and not the other (BD).

Warner has really short-changed some BDs in the SQ department, namely Superman Returns, but they seem to be rectifying that with more uncompressed PCM tracks (e.g. The Departed and the forthcoming Blood Diamond).

Where BD is truly getting short-changed is by BD-J, but that's their own doing.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
I'm totally with you on this too, Paul. I haven't yet bought into either format but Blu-Ray is definitely my preferred format for the future, and its more robust surface is definitely one of its top selling points over its HD-DVD counterpart.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Bumping this ancient thread to talk about how much I appreciate the Blu-ray protective coating - over the lack of any coating on regular DVD's. When I first starting renting DVD's in the early 200X's, there were multiple times the DVD picture would skip, fragment, or just freeze - all because of scratches. This was less likely if I bought a DVD new, but would still happen sometimes.

However, after I got my first BD player in late 2012 & started watching these, I noticed that with the protective coating on BD's, they are not nearly as prone to getting scratched. I've had a handful of BD's "skip" over the years, but it's not nearly as big of a problem as with DVD's - and it's been rare that a BD has ever "frozen" completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks