What's new

UHD Blu-ray Disc Association Completes Ultra HD Blu-ray™ Specification and Releases New Logo (2 Viewers)

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Patrick Donahue said:
The way I look at all this physical/digital debate is - it's all a moot point if you ignore the 3 week early release window and purchase a Blu-Ray with a Digital HD code...

I don't really see this discussion as being a debate over physical vs. digital. For one thing such a debate is largely irrelevant because sales data shows that the average consumer is choosing digital. We can argue all we want about the benefits of physical disc, the market is clearly moving in another direction.

This discussion as I see it is more about the role of UHD Blu-ray, and what I'm saying is that it has no real role to play, no niche to fit into. For the average consumer who increasingly cares more about convenience over quality, digital fits the bill, whether for 2K now or 4K in the future. For the quality-conscious classic movie lover who values physical ownership, a vast catalog is already at hand in DVD or Blu-ray form. Along comes a brand new disc format (UHD Blu-ray) which offers format fatigued collectors: an incremental image quality improvement; very little likelihood of ever having a catalog of classic titles anywhere near that on BD or DVD; most likely a higher price than BD; and the need to buy new equipment. It doesn't really cater to either group of viewers.

Dave Moritz said:
It sucks having these episodes stuck on the pc and I actually find it hard to sit down and watch any of those 3 episodes on my pc's 27" Samsung 1080p flat panel. I do not see how people enjoy watching content on a tiny smart phone.

You keep saying this, but it's only a dilemma because you're not exploring any options. Streaming media from a PC or phone/tablet to your main display is relatively straightforward if you do a little research.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
You keep saying this, but it's only a dilemma because you're not exploring any options. Streaming media from a PC or phone/tablet to your main display is relatively straightforward if you do a little research.

Not interested in buying apple tv and buying software and having to strip the DRM out and convert each file to another format is IMHO ridiculous. It seems the only way I have found so far to play iTunes downloaded content is to have to strip the DRM out of the file and convert it. Besides since purchasing these three episodes I have decided to not purchase any video and or music from iTunes so buying a Apple TV just for 3 episodes seems like a waste of money. I will keep researching this but the worst case scenario is I just delete the content and go on from there. I do have the complete series of Battlestar Galactica on my purchase list and some day will own it on blu-ray.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It is almost September and it is about time to have some kind of advertising campaign start up if they want UHD blu-ray to take off. So far no news about any titles that we might see in retail stores and online, no idea what the packaging will look like and we are no closer to knowing the official roll out date for UHD blu-ray. We also have no idea what the retail will be on the UHD blu-ray players because the hardware manufactures are saying nothing. We also have no idea what the retail will be on the UHD blu-ray discs themselves besides not knowing what titles will be first out of the gate.

Marketing for UHD blu-ray so far sucks because there is basically no marketing or commercials of any kind out there.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Dave Moritz said:
It is almost September and it is about time to have some kind of advertising campaign start up if they want UHD blu-ray to take off. So far no news about any titles that we might see in retail stores and online, no idea what the packaging will look like and we are no closer to knowing the official roll out date for UHD blu-ray.

Marketing for UHD blu-ray so far sucks because there is basically no marketing or commercials of any kind out there.

They will be waiting for Cedia 2015, i would expect much more news then.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
FoxyMulder said:
They will be waiting for Cedia 2015, i would expect much more news then.

Yeah, that's mid October, and still time to get stuff out before the end of the year as advertised.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=17520

Fox Reveals First 4K Blu-ray Titles, Samsung Announces First 4K Blu-ray Player

View attachment 22271

View attachment 22272

View attachment 22273

Twentieth Century Fox has revealed the first batch of titles that will be released on 4K Blu-ray. They are Exodus: Gods and Kings, Kingsman: The Secret Service, Fantastic Four, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Life of Pi, The Maze Runner and Wild.

Sounds like I will be putting the following on my purchase list. One of my fist 4K UHD purchases may just be Life Of Pi and The Maze Runner.

Exodus: Gods And Kings

Fantastic Four *

X Men: Days Of Future Past (This title will be later on because it would be added to go along with my 1080p 3D bluray.)

Life Of Pi *

The Maze Runner *

Now lets see what Universal, Disney, WB and others release before Christmas!

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
davidmatychuk said:

No, that's just the reality of streaming right now because of existing Internet infrastructure. The future of entertainment media, as well as almost all computing and communication, is Internet-based. It may take another 5,10 or 15 years for the infrastructure (bandwidth & reliability) to get there, but it's inevitable, and far more efficient.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Persianimmortal said:
No, that's just the reality of streaming right now because of existing Internet infrastructure. The future of entertainment media, as well as almost all computing and communication, is Internet-based. It may take another 5,10 or 15 years for the infrastructure (bandwidth & reliability) to get there, but it's inevitable, and far more efficient.
I've seen "Terminator 2", and I think the date the infrastructure gets good enough is August 29, 1997.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks