What's new

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Yes couldn't agree more. My physical media purchases are now just about non-existent. But your new line will keep me active as long as it lasts. In addition to 21 Beacon Street - The Complete Series, can you give us any teasers David? Thanks in advance!
Thanks for asking, but no specific teasers on the next one coming except:

- it's from the 1950s
- it's never been released on home video
- it is likely on the short list of many classic TV fans as most wanted

That's all I can say for now as my guess is just about any minor specifics we give, no matter how vague, will make the series easy to guess.

Other than that, we should have the scans of this unnamed show in hand this month and will likely reveal it early next month. We hope to start pre-orders next month with a planned late summer release.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

- it's from the 1950s

That's all I can say for now as my guess is just about any minor specifics we give, no matter how vague, will make the series easy to guess.

Other than that, we should have the scans of this unnamed show in hand this month and will likely reveal it early next month. We hope to start pre-orders next month with a planned late summer release.

- David
Super I can't wait!!! I'll let others do the guessing.

Just one more question as I have a huge Rib-Eye steak awaiting me. :)

Can you please start a new thread over here at TV on DVD and Blu-ray specifically devoted to your new RARE TELEVISION line? There's just too much stuff over at the ClassicFlix Discussion Thread.

Thanks David!

Last edited:

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Super I can't wait!!! I'll let others do the guessing.

Just one more question as I have a huge Rib-Eye steak awaiting me. :)

Can you please start a new thread over here at TV on DVD and Blu-ray specifically devoted to your new RARE TELEVISION line? There's just too much stuff over at the ClassicFlix Discussion Thread.

Thanks David!
Funny you mention this as it's on my short list of things to do. I'll likely get to it soon.

Thanks again!

- David

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I also look forward to this new rare television line.

I might not be able to buy every ClassicFlix release but I always follow what they’re doing, and I think David is one of this industry’s great straight shooters - I applaud his efforts in demystifying physical media and explaining what decisions are made and why.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I think they know their business model better than anyone else as to what it takes to turn a profit with the types of titles they are releasing. I'd even fair a guess that the majority of those interested in this title are much more willing to go without subtitles to support a release than those that will boycott it due to the lack thereof. The fact that you even use the phrase "millions of people" just shows how out of touch you are with the market for such a release.

To call them "cheap" would seem to indicate you know something to the contrary. So exactly how much do you think the licensing and transfer costs were? How much would it cost to create subtitles for the release? How many sales do you think such a release will attain to compensate for the production costs? Please, enlighten us.

It's so easy to criticize. Now show us you have the knowledge to justify the criticism.
And the key word is Production Cost.
They do not need to put CC on it. It's already on it.
If it has been on TV anytime within the last 20 years.
It has CC on it.
But they would have had to pay for the rights to keep it on. And that is where they went cheap.
They did not want to pay for the rights.
In the long run, they will lose out. I have the series.
And it has CC on it. It was put out years ago.
I do wonder why they are trying to milk it again.
But then I see it all the time. I would like to see how much they make out of this.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
And the key word is Production Cost.
They do not need to put CC on it. It's already on it.
If it has been on TV anytime within the last 20 years.
It has CC on it.
But they would have had to pay for the rights to keep it on. And that is where they went cheap.
They did not want to pay for the rights.
In the long run, they will lose out. I have the series.
And it has CC on it. It was put out years ago.
I do wonder why they are trying to milk it again.
But then I see it all the time. I would like to see how much they make out of this.
You are greatly misinformed.

We licensed the rights to BLONDIE in 2018 and scanned the 26 episodes from 35mm film to put on DVD that same year. They are on TV now only because we scanned them from film (which doesn't have CC on them) and it was part of our deal that the rights holder could exploit our masters for broadcast and streaming. If there are currently CC's when watching on TV, the rights holder likely recently paid for them to get done.

To reiterate, the only reason BLONDIE is available at all on TV or streaming is because we took the gamble in 2018 to license the series, pay an advance, pay tens of thousands of dollars to restore. It took years to get our money back and if we hadn't taken that risk, the series would still be in the vaults deteriorating away...

- David

Last edited:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

- it's from the 1950s

- David

I cannot tell you how excited I am to hear all this news today, David! ClassicFlix is #1 in my book!

Gary “40’s material sounds great too” O.

Last edited:

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Yes. The rights holder put them on.
As the Law states. Everything on TV . Must have CC on it. By law.
And my DVD's of Blondie. Have CC on them.
Its again. Who is putting them out on DVD.
And what & how they wish to do it. And how much they wish to spend doing. And yes it's big money.
But CC & SDH are everyday things now.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Yes. The rights holder put them on.
As the Law states. Everything on TV . Must have CC on it. By law.
And my DVD's of Blondie. Have CC on them.
Its again. Who is putting them out on DVD.
And what & how they wish to do it. And how much they wish to spend doing. And yes it's big money.
But CC & SDH are everyday things now.
This is wrong. The law states "Programming that contained closed captioning when originally aired on television" must have CC. BLONDIE had no such CC when originally aired.

The reason most broadcasters do so is because they meet the threshold of a larger broadcaster/streaming provider which is forced by the government, primarily through judges and the regulatory environment, to do so.

Check out TCM some time and you will see lots of content without cc.

- David

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall

- it's from the 1950s

- David

Funny you mention this as it's on my short list of things to do. I'll likely get to it soon.

Thanks again!

- David
Thank you David and all the good folks at ClassicFlix, for everything you do in bringing treasured rarities back to our home video community! You obviously have a lot of well-earned support here already among our circle of TV and theatrical film enthusiasts! I live in Canada and have to buy your releases through third party dealers at a premium, but am glad to do so!

We definitely look forward to your standing, devoted thread for your upcoming TV releases that Gary suggested!

I can't resist...after a deep dive and reverse search of old Hal Roach TV properties on IMDB...Love That Jill, a summer 1958 replacement series (13 half-hour episodes) starring Anne Jeffreys and Robert Sterling as competing model agents with romantic yearnings for each other, and also with regular cast Jimmy Lydon (Henry Aldrich) and Barbara Nichols (Sweet Smell of Success, The Pajama Game, Pal Joey)...with such guest stars as Chuck Connors (The Rifleman, of course), Gerald Mohr, Cheerio Meredith and beautiful Kaye Elhardt seems a possibility? (ha, ha, no need to answer).

But I'm sure we will all find things to delight us and open our wallets to!

Last edited:

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Thank you David and all the good folks at ClassicFlix, for everything you do in bringing treasured rarities back to our home video community! You obviously have a lot of well-earned support here already among our circle of TV and theatrical film enthusiasts! I live in Canada and have to buy your releases through third party dealers at a premium, but am glad to do so!

We definitely look forward to your standing, devoted thread for your upcoming TV releases that Gary suggested!

I can't resist...after a deep dive and reverse search of old Hal Roach TV properties on IMDB...Love That Jill, a summer 1958 replacement series (13 half-hour episodes) starring Anne Jeffreys and Robert Sterling as competing model agents with romantic yearnings for each other, and also with regular cast Jimmy Lydon (Henry Aldrich) and Barbara Nichols (Sweet Smell of Success, The Pajama Game, Pal Joey)...with such guest stars as Chuck Connors (The Rifleman, of course), Gerald Mohr, Cheerio Meredith and beautiful Kaye Elhardt seems a possibility? (ha, ha, no need to answer).

But I'm sure we will all find things to delight us and open our wallets to!
Thanks for your support of our label.

We looked at JILL (and lots of other Roach properties) early on, but only had so much capital to advance and ended up doing

- Todd/Kelly
- Public Defender
- Blondie
- Merrily We Live
- Zenobia
- Streamliners Collections (2 of the 6 Volumes are OOP and 2 more soon to be)

We also looked at TELEPHONE TIME, TROUBLE WITH FATHER (Stu Erwin Show) and THE CHARLES FERRELL SHOW. That I can recollect, these 3 and JILL are the only Roach TV properties that the rights holder has film on.

We, of course, looked into non-TV like THE BOY FRIENDS shorts and I wish we had definitely taken those and JILL, as well as tested out reception for Season 1 of TELEPHONE TIME, but it wasn't to be.

Perhaps sometime in the future we'll be able to come to an agreement with the rights holder, but haven't been able to for a few years.

- David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks