What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Black Sheep Squadron? (1 Viewer)

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I would love to see this come out on DVD. Has anyone heard of a possible release. I don't even know who owns the rights to this one.
------------------
The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Doug,
I thought I was the only one who liked this show. I do know they are airing the show on History channel.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
On The History Channel? I wish I had cable. I wish I had this series on DVD. I love that series!
Black Sheep Squadron, aka Baa Baa, Black Sheep, was based on a TV-movie of the same (2nd) name: BB,BS. The TV-movie was also called Flying Misfits, appropriately enough. I'd like to at least get that!
The series was from A-Team creater Stephen Cannell, and hit around or just after the Bicentennial if I recall right! :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis

M

MaxY

Baa Baa Black Sheep was not based on a TV Movie it was based on a Book that was written by Boyington. They kicked the series off with a two Hour long Pilot which is what you are likely thinking was a TV movie.
I am not sure why there was a name change but I think that happened when it went in to syndication because they felt it better conveyed the war theme then Baa Baa Black Sheep.
I had actually read the book as a kid before the series was ever even thought of. When they announced it as a series I remember my Dad and I would watch it every week and never miss a show. I think they may have even done a couple of other 2 hour shows. It did not last very long though. I think it went like 3 seasons.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!
[Edited last by MaxY on October 03, 2001 at 04:15 PM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the clarification. I knew Pappy Boyington was a real person, but I didn't know there was a book.
The "TV movie" thing comes from having caught Flying Misfits on cable (likely TBS) in the mid-to-late 80's and taping it. I rewatched that many times. I then caught a few reruns of the TV series on latenight local station, and liked what I saw...before it was replaced by Perry Mason.
frown.gif

I've never ever seen as much as I would have liked to!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
It was renamed for the second season. They made a few casting changes to try and appeal to a younger crowd. Didn't work at the time unfortunately.

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
Loved the show! Would definitely buy DVD's!
Besides the pilot, one of my favorites was an episode I think titled "Devil in the Slot" where a Japanese ace was terrorizing the squadron and Boyington. (Boy-ing-ton...where are you??? Right behind you riceball). Boyington and him went atone another and ended up shooting each other down and washing up on the same beach and sharing their emergency rations.
Anyone ever notice how many cast memebers were also later on Magnum P.I? Boyle, Casey, French. Also there was Hoss's son, Dirk Blocker.
Brennan

David Singleton

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't watched very much of the show, but Donald P. Bellesario (sp?) produced (I think) the show. He also produces J.A.G. I assume Harm's temporary callsign of "Pappy" was a tip of the hat to Black Sheep Squadron.
The gentleman that plays Lt. Bud Roberts father on J.A.G. was also a regular on Black Sheep Squadron.
David

todd s

Senior HTF Member
They do a cool thing when they air it on History channel. At some commercial breaks they air quick interviews with some of the cast and actual members of the real Black Sheep Squadron.

Adrian_N

Agent
I never saw the oringal airings, but I've caught it often in syndication. Great series. I watch it on History Channel when I can. I thought the series held up very well. Too bad it didn't last long. Was it just money, or just bad ratings. I guess both go hand in hand.

KenA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Appell
They do a cool thing when they air it on History channel. At some commercial breaks they air quick interviews with some of the cast and actual members of the real Black Sheep Squadron.
I also thought that was only for History Channel, but my father insists that they ran those interviews when the show originally aired. This from the same guy that can't remember what he had for breakfast.
------------------
»ken«

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Some of the interviews are new. When they talk to Robert Conrad he is old (sorry to be so blunt).

M

MaxY

David S,
Harm being Pappy may have been a tip of the hat but that nick name was quite common in the Navy. My Dad was called Pappy for a while too because he was the oldest guy in his flight class and he was still under 25 at the time. :)
He, my pop, flew F9F Panthers and got out of the navy just before Korea started.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!
[Edited last by MaxY on October 04, 2001 at 06:22 PM]

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Any new word on this possibly coming out or is it out? I haven't seen anything on it.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
well boyington was only something like 29 or early thirties when he got stuck with the nickname. i think they called him "gramps" at first, and then went on to "pappy".

i actually own the book, but haven't read it since the show was first on the air. used to love it, but repeats it seems pretty formulaic. still have a thing for corsairs, though.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was going to record the show off of History channel onto dvd. But, History channel doesn't have the rights anymore. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Indy7solo
Recent bookmarks