What's new

Bing Crosby, Cary Grant & Rock Hudson 'Screen Legend Collections' from Universal (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Chevalier collection is a marvelous idea. I've caught some of those wonderful oldies (LOVE PARADE and SMILING LIEUTENANT) on TCM, and they didn't look half bad, so they could be released.

Another Paramount oldie (now Universal controlled) that used to be shown a lot but not much lately is MERRILY WE GO TO HELL with Sylvia Sidney and Fredric March and featuring another early Cary Grant performance.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
FANTASTIC!!!!
Universal you are a Legend.

These 3 incredible Sets contain a wealth of rarely, if ever seen, features.
Why worry about what's not available when Universal feeds us Golden Treasures like these and at a bargain price.
As a person who thought he knew almost every movie title of the 30s, 40s and 50's, I was floored by the unknown ( to me) titles on the Cary Grant Set.

Great titles on the Rock Hudson set as well.

Bing Crosby? the more the better.
I just hope that the Crosby Set sells extra well so we can get more of him, mainly the early titles,
King of Jazz, The Big Broadcast, She Loves me Not, Mississippi, Two for Tonight and Anything Goes.

While Universal are in such a generous mood, how about a Jeff Chandler set.
I would give anything to see Jeff and Jane Russell in FOXFIRE again, which I believe may have been the last 3 strip Technicolor production.

As you can tell -I'm excited.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
If they keep going in this mode...what's next the GLORIA JEAN FRANCHISE PACK? Once those bean-counters from parent company G.E. see the financial debacle of this kind of marketing, you can figure out what's going to happen.

Meanwhile, with truly clever marketing, they could probably make a little profit with COBRA WOMAN and the other Montez pictures, but again, truly, only with clever marketing...not lazy marketing.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator

*What* kind of marketing? What do you mean by "in this mode"? These may be obscure films, but they're *not* obscure stars...like Gloria Jean. So I don't see the connection you're trying to make. And aren't you being a bit cruel to poor Gloria...I'm sure she has fans out there. Why shouldn't her films get released? But don't worry, Universal probably realizes she's not a big enough star to get a franchise collection all her own. Sheesh.

I just don't see what's so strange or risky or offensive about releasing lesser-known titles starring popular, beloved stars like Bing Crosby, Cary Grant and Rock Hudson. I give up on this thread. I'm sure many shall rejoice :P - Meanwhile I'll rejoice at the prospect of seeing/owning some rare old movies.

You're all a bunch of snobs and killjoys, and I stick my tongue out at you! (Okay, not all of you. Forgive me, I had to say it. Whew.)

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
I have supported all the Universal releases so far and it does seem to me that we should be grateful for Universal for trying to put some of their classic library into the marketplace. They were blasted for not releasing their old Paramount/Universal holdings and I think we should be grateful they are now seeing sense.
All of these titles (with the exception of some of the Rock Hudson titles) are new to me and I have been enjoying classic films for over 30 years. These sort of titles just have no outlet anymore and anyone who feels hard-done by in terms of classic films on TV should be aware that we have even less choice here in the UK. Some people's perception of a classic title is an old movie from the 1980s!
I will never have a chance to watch these Crosby or Grant films anywhere else and so I have to applaud Universal for digging deep into their archives and hope that the releases are successful and that we shall see many more classics soon on DVD.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
For heaven's sake, don't knock Gloria Jean! I remember the films she did at Universal (some of which I saw on TV as a kid) were quite entertaining. It was performers like her, Peggy Ryan and the young Donald O'Connor that kept Universal financially afloat with those "B" musicals. The profits from those films led to the studio finally getting its first real roster of "A" stars in the 50s, like Rock Hudson, Piper Laurie, Jeff Chandler and Tony Curtis.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

The point I was trying to make is that not too many people have been able to see these films. TCM shows all sorts of Bing, Grant and Hudson films but they are usually the popular ones. The "forgotten" ones are those that were never released on VHS or LD and that aren't shown on TCM. For most people this will be their first shot at seeing these titles. TCM constantly shows Boris Karloff titles but the upcoming Universal sets has stuff that isn't shown on television and one title that has never been released to home video. EVERY movie is available via bootleg but BRINGING UP BABY isn't one of the titles. That title is easy to come by while the stuff being included here is a lot harder to get your hands on.

And again, if Universal is going to bother releasing these Grant titles then that bolds well for SHE DONE HIM WRONG. If Universal is going through the trouble of releasing Karloff's NIGHT KEY then that means we'll eventually see something like ISLAND OF LOST SOULS. Whereas Warner, the greatest studio out there, they've released very well known Cagney titles but there are dozens of "B" and "C" films, which haven't shown up yet. Will they? We're not sure but we do know Universal is releasing both the "A" titles and the "C" titles, which is a great thing even if some "C" titles make it out before the "A" ones.

Frank*C

Grip
The fact that these films are rarely seen and Universal is offering them for what amounts to a little over $4 a title if you factor in the standard internet discount makes this a no brainer for me. It's clear that each studio is very different in how they market their films, but how can anyone fault Universal for a group release of titles that probably wouldn't be profitable if released individually? A win-win if you ask me, much better than what Fox is doing in releasing the Will Rogers Collection for a list price of $59.98 for what many consider "B" or "C" level classic films. A big thanks to Universal for releasing these films in the manner they are.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Interesting discussion, you guys:)!

Anyway, I'll eventually be getting the Rock Hudson set since all 5 films hold some interest for me: Douglas Sirk's HAS ANYBODY SEEN MY GAL? (1952) is an enjoyable period comedy, Robert Aldrich's eccentric but little-seen incest-themed THE LAST SUNSET (1961) is a good one and I've probably also seen THE GOLDEN BLADE (1953) in my childhood days. The other two may not be top-notch Hudson titles but, at least, they're from the period when he was at his best.

However, even if Cary Grant is my all-time favorite actor, I've never heard of most of these films and have only watched one - BIG BROWN EYES (1936) - which was a decent sub-THIN MAN comedy-thriller. Bollocks, I have yet to purchase BRINGING UP BABY (1938), GUNGA DIN (1939), THE PHILADELPHIA STORY (1940) and Warners' Signature Collection:frowning:!!

As for Bing, well I haven't yet purchased the R2 SE DVD of one of his very best - HOLIDAY INN (1942) - so it's not very likely I'll be going for these anytime soon...

ted:r

Second Unit

I'm not sure it does bode well, that's my problem. I prefer what I see as WB's top down approach to what seems to be Universal's chaotic approach. WB has earned only plaudits from me (and others) for its release schedule so far, so they have earned my faith that they will release the "forgotten" films eventually (and remember also, they have control of three major catalogs: their own, MGM's and RKO's, so they have control of many more films than others). Universal continues to sit on a number of first rank films I (and many others) would salivate at getting. When (hopefully) they star systematically releasing those, then I will willingly give them the benefit of my doubt (and my cash).

If you were running a studio and wanted to make money, which model would you follow?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

If I were in it for the money then I'd probably follow Universal. Re-release "popular" movies over and over again while at the same time releasing films no one is really interested in. I'm sure we all should thank AMERICAN PIE for these lesser known films getting released.

But I do understand what you're saying. Some people might pick this set up and put it back on the shelf because they don't know any of the titles. However, at $20 they might be willing to do a blind buy if they like one of the actors involved. Fox is releasing some lesser known titles with popular actors but at $45+, I'm not sure how many people are going to bite (outside of fans). At $20, I think Universal is hitting a home run with these types of releases because people (newbies) are giving the films a chance.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I think I will pass on the Rock Hudson set since they will be FULL FRAME. There are title's in the set from the 60's that 'should' be anamorphic. Universal's inconsistant treatment of thier films just irritates the hell out of me.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I think (at least I hope!) that the press release just got that wrong. Didn't Universal release a Hammer horror set where everything got proper OAR and 16X9 enhancement? I'd be very surprised if the widescreen movies in this Rock Hudson set are really getting foolscreen transfers.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yep I have no doubt that these will all be OAR. Universal is usually very good with transfers. That is their most consistant strength.

Too bad the Rock Hudson set didn't include "Tobruk". That would have have made the set a must have for me.

ted:r

Second Unit

What are the studios trying to do with Cary Grant? First the Columbia box set cover, now this. Is it too much to ask for in having a picture of Cary Grant that like looks like Cary Grant?

Granted (ha ha...) it may be me, but please.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks