What's new

Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray (7 Viewers)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I remember my father (reluctantly, I'm sure ;) ) taking me and my brother to see Hercules and Hercules Unchained as a double-bill at a drive-in when I was a kid. Definitely wasn't first run, as it would've been in the early 60s, not 1959.
For me, growing up in the 60s, All the Sword & Sandel flicks were either on Saturuday Afternoon Features or on a dusk to dawn Drive-In festival.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
In 1961, one could attend various Steve Reeves pictures in at least ten different theaters in the Seattle area (not counting drive-ins). HERCULES, HERCULES UNCHAINED, GOLIATH AND THE BARBARIANS, THE WHITE WARRIOR, THIEF OF BAGHDAD, GIANT OF MARATHON, and MORGAN THE PIRATE were all playing simultaneously around town. I'd love to hop on a time machine and revisit that era for a weekend.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
In 1961, one could attend various Steve Reeves pictures in at least ten different theaters in the Seattle area (not counting drive-ins). HERCULES, HERCULES UNCHAINED, GOLIATH AND THE BARBARIANS, THE WHITE WARRIOR, THIEF OF BAGHDAD, GIANT OF MARATHON, and MORGAN THE PIRATE were all playing simultaneously around town. I'd love to hop on a time machine and revisit that era for a weekend.
I saw the first three of those at the pictures when I was 10…& I don’t think I’ve seen them since, & I’m sure Goliath & The Barbarians was in b/w, probably the distributor saving a few pounds on print stock.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I've got my preorder locked in, so fingers crossed for at least something of an improvement of prior releases.
Original Cinerama version ran 260 minutes, subsequently cut over the years. The shortest version runs 141 minutes. Numerous versions have been shown on television. Knowing this, I wonder which version. is up for restoration? Also, anotherr entry here on the forum about this film, on a 224 min version?

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
We should lobby TCM and ask for a Saturday afternoon double feature of Sword and Sandal films and follow up with a double feature of Horror/SciFi films. It would be a phenomenal Saturdays on TCM !

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Easter is coming here in Greece, and I've started watching again biblical films. My favorite time of year for watching such films.
There is something about them, the epicness, the music, the sets, the costumes, the cinematography, that makes them perfect candidates for blu-ray/UHD.
Last night I've watched The Prodigal (1955).
While not a great movie, it's still quite entertaining, and unfortunately there isn't even an HD digital version of it (while there is one for e.g. The Story of Ruth).
I hope WAC will consider this film to add to their library some day.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Prodigal & Ruth are at the top of my most-wanted, too. I ran into an interesting YouTube channel that, among others, presents a gorgeous 720p version with English subs of Siege of Syracuse from '61. Was really enjoying it but the it cut off before the end. The author claims he is searching for a complete version. This is one I'd love to see in HD. One might enjoy what there is of it however at:

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I keep hoping that either Colosseo Film or Plaion Pictures (nee Koch Media) will release a Blu-ray of GIANT OF MARATHON starring Steve Reeves. Colosseo released Blu-rays of THIEF OF BAGHDAD (1961) and THE SLAVE, both starring Reeves. Plaion/Koch released Blu-rays of ROMULUS UND REMUS (with Reeves) and SODOM UND GOMORRAH.

All of those films were released by Titanus back in the day. According to Titanus' website, GIANT OF MARATHON has been preserved in HD.

garyrc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary
Lets try again on The Fall of the Roman Empire, please. Reasons:
  • Precedent: some have been done again [re-authored onto Blu-ray] when the first issue was FUBAR: for instance, Patton and Spartacus.
  • Shot in 70mm should look and sound good.
  • Anthony Mann and Samuel Bronston also did El Cid ... pretty good.
  • Although he did not participate, Fall of the Roman Empire was Gore Vidal's favorite epic film, even though he was one of the writers on Ben-Hur, more so than we once thought, now that more of his annotated and expanded script has been found.
  • I want to hear those trumpets -- perhaps like the ones Plutarch commented sounded like "the braying of an ass" in good multichannel. Fall of the Roman Empire came closer than any other film I've experienced in capturing that stunning harshness.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Original Cinerama version ran 260 minutes, subsequently cut over the years. The shortest version runs 141 minutes. Numerous versions have been shown on television. Knowing this, I wonder which version. is up for restoration? Also, anotherr entry here on the forum about this film, on a 224 min version?
There never was a 260-minute version.

The catalog card at The Library of Congress lists the footage as 20,000 feet for their 35mm print, which would match the duration given in the Catalog of Copyright Entries of 221 minutes.

World premiere at the Warner Cinerama Theatre on 2/15/65
1713925111551.png

Below is a review of the film and also lists it as 221 minutes plus intermission.

2/16/65
1713925277580.png

On 4/16/65 it was reduced to 195 minutes.
1713925660333.png

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Lets try again on The Fall of the Roman Empire, please. Reasons:
  • Precedent: some have been done again [re-authored onto Blu-ray] when the first issue was FUBAR: for instance, Patton and Spartacus.
  • Shot in 70mm should look and sound good.
  • Anthony Mann and Samuel Bronston also did El Cid ... pretty good.
  • Although he did not participate, Fall of the Roman Empire was Gore Vidal's favorite epic film, even though he was one of the writers on Ben-Hur, more so than we once thought, now that more of his annotated and expanded script has been found.
  • I want to hear those trumpets -- perhaps like the ones Plutarch commented sounded like "the braying of an ass" in good multichannel. Fall of the Roman Empire came closer than any other film I've experienced in capturing that stunning harshness.

I fully agree and great that you bring it up again but I would be less modest in one regard:

If properly done it would not just look good but fantastic.
Even with just 80% of the negative blown up to standard 70mm it was one of the most detailed 70mm presentations that I have seen and finally seeing the full UP70 frame from a proper 8K scan of the OCN would be a revelation.

And yes, those trumpets are quite fittingly described and frankly it was a bit too much braying for my poor ears...

1713943783206.png

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I fully agree and great that you bring it up again but I would be less modest in one regard:

If properly done it would not just look good but fantastic.
Even with just 80% of the negative blown up to standard 70mm it was one of the most detailed 70mm presentations that I have seen and finally seeing the full UP70 frame from a proper 8K scan of the OCN would be a revelation.

And yes, those trumpets are quite fittingly described and frankly it was a bit too much braying for my poor ears...

View attachment 220634
This film is one of my favorite Bronston films along with El Cid. I have the UK region 2 Blurays since day 1. When will they Ever get a Restoration and US release ??? :confused: They could Never make movies like this today. Where are the Actors ?? :rolleyes:
FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE.jpg
m_ffc898f7-cc3a-4ff8-8b20-8e27dc6ac46e.jpg

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
This film is one of my favorite Bronston films along with El Cid. I have the UK region 2 Blurays since day 1. When will they Ever get a Restoration and US release ???
:confused:

The last time they were released on home video in the US was on DVD from "The Miriam Collection" in 2008. That label was owned by the Weinstein Company. It's likely that they are caught up in whatever legal purgatory the Weinstein Company is in.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The last time they were released on home video in the US was on DVD from "The Miriam Collection" in 2008. That label was owned by the Weinstein Company. It's likely that they are caught up in whatever legal purgatory the Weinstein Company is in.

Unfortunately, the KL Insider confirmed that whoever ended up with the Weinstein Company owns both El Cid and Fall in perpetuity, so there’s no telling when we’ll ever see proper restorations of those films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks