What's new

Best/Worst of 2011 Discussion (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Since the nomination threads are intended to be used only for nominating titles and expressly discourage any other chatter, I thought it would be OK to start a thread expressly devoted to finding out why people made the choices they did and what things might have been worthy but just missed the cut. To start off, I just got around to watching the Criterion release of Sweet Smell Of Success the other night and now think I may have to go back and change my selections for best catalog release. The image on this disc was absolutely enthralling. I was afraid early on that it might be a victim of overzealous scrubbing, because it looks just too damn clean and glossy. But the longer it played and the closer I looked, there was nothing I could find to impeach it. The grain may be imperceptible for the most part, but the fine detail is still there. There's no DNR slurring in motion and the variety of textures look natural and precise. One of the most beautiful releases the format has seen so far. And it remains a sensational movie to boot. This is also one of the reasons I see MGM as being on a short list for studio of the year. Yes, it was Criterion that put it out, but MGM facilitated the release providing the elements and letting the film be licensed out in the first place. And apart from the West Side Story mis-step, MGM has consistently put out product that espouses the same values I seek when I buy catalog titles- that the film look natural and true to it's original identity and source. From Last Tango to The Big Country, Dressed To Kill to It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World- the breadth and scope of it's catalog releases this year were exemplary. I guess not many people are impressed with them because the releases usually lack a lot of bells and whistles as far as special features or usually aren't newly tarted up with a teal and orange sheen to make them look like 2011 movies. I dunno. What they lack in excitement, MGM makes up for in competence (WWS being the outlier). Also another reason I would make the case for MGM is what their new Bds represent over the original DVD releases. I wouldn't argue that the new Bds of Ben-Hur and Meet Me In St.Louis aren't wonderful and state of the art examples for the format, because I do believe they are. However the same was the case with the last iteration of their DVDs. Relatively speaking, the gulf between what we had prior and have now, doesn't seem as great. Contrast that with the only available releases of things like IAMMMMW or The Big Country or Some Like It Hot or a score of others. These were all wonderful, vast a/v upgrades and usually at a bargain price point. With some classic Hitchcock and some of the absolute best Woody Allen films on the horizon, it's seems like they are going full speed ahead. well, guess that's it for now. Just wanted the chance to elaborate on a couple choices. Overall it was a solid year for catalog releases without too many flubs. Hopefully 2012 will be even better.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Great thread idea!++ What I'm really enjoying about blu-ray is the chance to discover classic films like you wandered into the theater opening night. As you say, the Sweet Smell of Success is a great example of that. I had never even heard of the film, and was quite enthralled while watching it. And the PQ is so good it's like you're right there. All three of my nominees were films I'd never even seen before. All About Eve is such an amazing classic. Silly I hadn't seen it before, even though I'd heard of it and seen a few minutes here and there over the years. And Bigger than Life, like Sweet, was a complete surprise. I'd never heard of the film. But I'm a James Mason fan, and it is certainly one of the greatest performances of his career. The Ten Commandments had the greatest blow you out of the water pq, perhaps, but there were so many like that it was hard to pick. Really looking forward to 2012. And I still need to catch up on many releases from this year.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
What a great idea for a thread! Thanks, Paul.

Your arguments for MGM are strong, and I admit I waffled over MGM and Paramount for my final choice. MGM did have some missteps amid their admittedly large number of excellent Blu-ray releases (The Greatest Story Ever Told, Vera Cruz, and, of course, West Side Story). I also did NOT appreciate the exclusives they gave to Wal-Mart a couple of times during the calendar year.

Paramount did far, far fewer vintage titles but scored a home run every time out including what I felt was the best Blu-ray release - vault or new title - of the year: The Ten Commandments. So that's why I went with Paramount over MGM. I am grateful to them both for dipping into their vaults for titles, and I hope 2012 brings more treasures to us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks