What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Best source for DVD-A discs? (1 Viewer)

AbbyNormal

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Heise
With so many brick-and-mortar places getting rid of DVD-A, anyone out there know of any good websites for picking up new or used discs? Same with DTS discs?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
circuitcity.com used to have a good selection and prices - have not looked in a bit. acousticsounds.com digitaleyes.net, amusicdirec.com elusivedisc.com are a few that come to mind.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
If you have a Borders close to you, check them out. I was in one a couple of weeks ago and they had a decent DVD-A, SACD selection.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The closest 3 Borders to my location have no section for hi-rez, no DVD-A (except for whatever DualDiscs might have DVD-A content - I don't look at those) and a few stealth SACDs here and there mixed with the regular CDs.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
A couple of the Best Buys in my area have recently restocked their meager DVD-A/SACD shelf, which was a surprise. However, I normally swear by CDUniverse. If something is not in stock, I request to be e-mailed when it comes back in, and I've been lucky at getting quite a few hard to get titles this way. Plus, they also accept Paypal, in case you have a balance that's ichin' to be spent! ;)

Good luck!

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Last time I was in Fry's a year ago, they had lots of them (& sacds) including many titles I had only seen online.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Might not be a bad idea to go to the local section of google and search for record shops in your city. Give them a call, most won't have anything in SACD or DVD-A, but you never know; I've been able to pick up a few solid titles over the past year or so, only takes a few minutes.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Jeff:

Do you know what titles you want to buy or do you want a comprehensive list of titles to survey so you can then decide what you want to purchase? If the former, then I'd be the first in the thread to mention Amazon, especially since you mentioned that you're interested in used discs.

Their search engine leaves quite a bit to be desired, but if you know what title you are looking for it is workable. For example, from the home page search engine pull down menu, if you select "Popular Music" and enter "Little Criminals" the hit you get is only the CD of that classic Randy Newman album. However, if you go to "Advanced Search" and enter that album name and choose "DVD-A" from the "Format" pull down, the DVD-A pops up. Note both Amazon's pretty broad pricing of DVD-A at the attractive $14.99 and the availability of used discs through Amazon's network of Marketplace partners.

That kind of mild extra effort can also yield DTS CD hits: if you know you want the DTS CD of Vince Gill's terrific Christmas record Breath Of Heaven, search for that album title after selecting "Popular Music" from the search engine pull down menu. In the case of DTS CDs (unlike DVD-A), your hits will include both the CD and DTS CD. Often you will not see "[DTS]" listed next to the album title in the list of search hits, but you can tell which one is which because the DTS CD will be more expensive. Click on it and then you'll see that it's the DTS CD on the album-specific page.

Yes, a little tedious. But worth it IMO if you know what titles you're looking for and are also amenable to used product. I also think Amazon is the only place to reliably find DTS CDs at this point.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
This concerns the DSOTM dvd-audio

Looks like Capitol/EMI have fought back (can't blame them, but damn, why don't they put out the official version!!??):

From here (excerpt from post #311):

Then go here, starting at post #25, for possible "suspects" on who did the poisoning. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks