What's new

Best ad for Kinect I've ever seen (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
They issued out the SDK to others to allow them to develop whatever they want.

The talk to X-Box and ask it to play a movie, it does do that.

The manipulate graphic thing, there have been people who've managed to do that with Kinect.

Virtual instruments is something that it actually has done, and more games with that kind of thing are coming.

It goes beyond that, that's why they say "what's possible"... but it's a good way to say the SDK is going public so people can take all these homebrew hacks and do what they want.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The problem is that the inherent delays don't match up to the real world things they think it can do. If you are fiddling and the xbox is 2 seconds behind you, well that sucks. But if you are performing surgery and it's 2 seconds behind, that's life and death. The feedback loop is constantly creating cognitive dissonance. And the problem is I don't think it will ever get to be real time, 60 hz, match up before the next frame is animated, which is what it really needs.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Playing instruments virtually might be a problem, but the video didn't show anyone doing surgery and I doubt they would use it for that. If they were to modify how the hardware actually works then I don't see why the delay can't be reduced. The reason for the delay is, basically, due to the fact that Kinect is an add-on to 6 year old hardware. If they developed a console with the Kinect as an integrated part then it would be different. The way it handles data, memory, video streams, etc. needs to be consistent across all the possible Xbox 360 hardware configurations, so it kind of runs at a lowest common denominator setting. If they were to develop a Kinect that solely did stuff like in the video, then there's no reason you wouldn't be able to put in a faster processor or a more powerful sensor in order to increase the speed and resolution. That said, what the video is trying to get across is that Kinect is now going to be something more than just videogames and I think it works pretty well at getting that message across. Let's see if they really do it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
35 seconds in they are suggesting it's at least in the scrub room, if not piloting the robot yet. But others ARE doing telesurgery, it's big business. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotic_surgery

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
But he's not using it to operate; they are using it to look at MRI/XRay scans. And, oddly, that is just an easy "picture" "next picture" setup.. in fact, someone has basically made that work with Dentrix (google it) which allows dental surgeons to look at Xrays. A picture slide show would be easy to control with it, and I could see people doing that.. now. And the advantage is obvious; it would mean that a doctor could easily change the view/image without having to put down hands or touch anything or have someone else do it for them. I didn't see robotic surgeries, I just saw a slideshow..

Originally Posted by Sam Posten

35 seconds in they are suggesting it's at least in the scrub room, if not piloting the robot yet. But others ARE doing telesurgery, it's big business.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotic_surgery
/t/315889/best-ad-for-kinect-ive-ever-seen#post_3868032

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks