What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Barnaby Jones - The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
John Karras said:
I suspect that VEI was quite aware of exactly what they were getting from CBS and made the decision to go with it anyway. I'm really not sure what else people expected. Barnaby Jones has been floating around with those Worldvision transfers as the available elements for ages. Surely nobody expected that a company like VEI was going to front the cost of remastering such a big series, and if CBS was going to bear the costs they would have been doing it for a release of their own. It obviously didn't sell well enough for CBS to continue.

It's not like these Worldvision transfers should be a surprise. Look at Combat!, Little House On The Prairie, Mod Squad...a mixed bag of 80's tape transfers, some complete, some cut/timesped.
But the Syndication Bible lists both network and syndicated versions available. Obviously CBS would have both on hand, so VEI could have said something.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Ron1973 said:
But the Syndication Bible lists both network and syndicated versions available. Obviously CBS would have both on hand, so VEI could have said something.
That's not what I see on the CBS site. Availability is listed as:

"This series has been partially transferred into HD and has the following masters:

Network 4x3 HD (Season 1, 13 episodes)"

This indicates that only the first 13 have been remastered in complete form. Everything else are syndication versions.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Karras said:
That's not what I see on the CBS site. Availability is listed as:

"This series has been partially transferred into HD and has the following masters:

Network 4x3 HD (Season 1, 13 episodes)"

This indicates that only the first 13 have been remastered in complete form. Everything else are syndication versions.
DISTRIBUTION OPTIONS (Library at Lab Cost)
TAPE FORMAT​
VERSION​
Library Lab Cost​
Syndication or Network

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Ron1973 said:
DISTRIBUTION OPTIONS (Library at Lab Cost)
TAPE FORMAT​
VERSION​
Library Lab Cost​
Syndication or Network
As far as I know, this means that network versions are available if you want to pay the lab costs of transferring the remaining 165 hours from 35mm, you can have them-a job that would be at minimum $500,000 (which might appeal to a potential cable network buyer, but not VEI).

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Karras said:
As far as I know, this means that network versions are available if you want to pay the lab costs of transferring the remaining 165 hours from 35mm, you can have them-a job that would be at minimum $500,000 (which might appeal to a potential cable network buyer, but not VEI).
It could be, and I certainly don't claim to know if that's the case or not. It says the same thing for both network and syndication versions, "library lab cost," so it would seem odd that it had to be transferred. It looks to me that there are network versions on videotape, and it does say that Spanish language is available in the network version, but not the syndication. It just seems like that CBS does have videotape transfers of the network versions the way I'm reading it, but again, I could be wrong.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Finally got my set from VEI today...will post comments when I have had a chance to watch some, but am VERY pleased to have this set. Never thought I would see it available.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Just speculation to add to the speculation, but perhaps the delay that arose rather suddenly was due to something regarding the syndicated version CBS handed over. VEI, while imperfect and having not advised their customer base of the facts, should still be commended for negotiating and distributing these TV classic shows, since we know that it is no sure thing that they'll profit hugely from it. Just because of personal finances I am holding off on this but have a spot on my shelf prepared for Barnaby in the near future.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
MCCLOUD said:
I was wondering if someone could provide an approximate breakdown on the percent of syndicated episodes of Barnaby Jones for each Season. Season 2 this percentage syndicated, season 3 this percent syndicated etc. I would just like to know if someone could post this. This is just out of curiosity because regardless I still plan on buying the set! Thanks!

Robert
I can tell what my experience has been so far. I’ve had Barnaby Jones for 8 days now and have watched 12 episodes, the first three discs. So far, 7 have been syndicated versions and 5 have been uncut. Assumedly the entire set will have a similar ratio. I would still recommend it if you are at all a fan of the series. There’s often discussion on the forum about holy grails, which by definition is a once in a lifetime thing. So for me, Cannon and Barnaby Jones are the base and the bowl of my one real grail and I have truly enjoyed the set, warts and all.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the information! Maybe if possible someone could keep the forum updated as they make there way through the set so we can have the breakdown of uncut vs syndicated episodes for Seasons 2 through Season 8. I plan on buying the set regardless of the Breakdown since the VEI set is the best we are gonna get! Thanks! Also thanks again VEI and once again CBS it is a shame the way you have treated Cannon and Barnaby Jones and their fans!

Robert

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wish the quality was better too, but even the worst episodes look better than they did on the rabbit-eared TV of my youth. And while the set may not be perfect, the memories it brings back are perfect: memories of when all my family was alive and together, when we gathered around the TV--every one of us--to watch Barnaby Jones. And the show is just as good as I remember. Maybe even better. I feel lucky to have it.

Am I so spoiled that I can't enjoy a show without pristine picture quality? No. I'm having a blast sharing adventures with Barnaby Jones again.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Couldn't agree more. Barnaby Jones is an example of a series where everything just works -- the writing, the production values, the star, the music.

An enjoyable show, made better if you watch it while eating your favorite comfort food. (macaroni & cheese for me; feel free to choose your own)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Arby's roast beef sandwiches and Barnaby Jones....I would sit here and watch this set all day if I didn't have to work. I am getting a week off soon and am seriously thinking of watching Barnaby Jones all week...with about a dozen Arby's Regulars in the fridge. That way I don't have to stop and fix dinner. I can just keep watching Barnaby.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
For me it's been Barnaby and cherry winks, a cookie my mother always made at Christmas, and now one that my daughter and I make every December. I always freeze a bunch for after the holidays so they go perfectly with Betty and Barnaby. And without even trying I now have my 16-year old son hooked. He came home last night and said, can we watch another Barnaby? There's just something about the show that says "home" and "family". And maybe it's purely nostalgia on my part, but it is real nonetheless.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
CBS might have been able to boost their sales of Barnaby Jones had they been aware of Barnaby's connection to nostalgia and comfort food.

Maybe CBS could have figured out a way to put food and dvds into the same package ?? ;)

Season 1 of Barnaby Jones, with a vacuum-packed Dutch Apple Pie.

Season 2 of Barnaby Jones, with reheatable Deluxe mac & cheese.

Season 3 of Barnaby Jones, with microwave-reheatable barbecue ribs & sauce.

And so on.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
rjd0309 said:
CBS might have been able to boost their sales of Barnaby Jones had they been aware of Barnaby's connection to nostalgia and comfort food.

Maybe CBS could have figured out a way to put food and dvds into the same package ?? ;)

Season 1 of Barnaby Jones, with a vacuum-packed Dutch Apple Pie.

Season 2 of Barnaby Jones, with reheatable Deluxe mac & cheese.

Season 3 of Barnaby Jones, with microwave-reheatable barbecue ribs & sauce.

And so on.

And of course, every season comes with a tall glass of milk to wash it down!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm only though season two, but I have to say the picture quality, overall, is better than I expected. And honestly, not being familiar with the episodes, the syndicated cuts aren't bothering me. I'm enjoying this set more than I've enjoyed any other complete series set in a long, long time.

Happy New Year !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliewonka
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale