What's new

Banana Split Hour (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I remember the banana split hour when i was a kid. I purchased Saturday Morning Cartoon set that had 1st episode, but, it just had me wanting more. I was able to download danger island segment at one time a few years ago. I group all the episodes together so you could watch me continously. I still would love to see the complete set released. I though there was some changes from S1 to S2 - see below info

S1 - Danger Island, Three Musketeers, Micro Ventures and Arabian Knights

S2 - Danger island, Hill Billy Bears and Arabian Knights

I thought i read that the adventures of Gulliver were part of Banana Split. In either case the show brings back memories of my youth and would love to have it on dvd.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
The Adventures of Gulliver was a Stand-Alone Show. When The Banana Splits was syndicated they did some kind of "Umbrella" arraingement with several Hanna Barbara Cartoon series and lumped them into the series, which Stations ran on weekday afternoons after School. I believe it went something like this:

Monday - "The Atom Ant Show"

Tuesday - "The Adventures of Gulliver"

Wednesday - "The Secret Squirrel Show"

Thursday - "The Adventures of Huck Finn" (Another "Stand-Alone" Show)

Friday - The Original Banana Splits Show.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Regulus

The Adventures of Gulliver was a Stand-Alone Show. When The Banana Splits was syndicated they did some kind of "Umbrella" arraingement with several Hanna Barbara Cartoon series and lumped them into the series, which Stations ran on weekday afternoons after School. I believe it went something like this:

Thanks for the clarification! I thought something like that happen, but you can only remember so much from child hood.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

In Chicago, WFLD-Channel 32 ran the syndicated show and their lineup was pretty similar:

Monday - Atom Ant

Tuesday - Secret Squirrel

Wednesday - Banana Splits

Thursday - Huckleberry Finn

Friday - Gulliver

(If they were airing the series on Sundays it would be Banana Splits.)

Later on, WGN ran the show on their superstation feed (but not locally in Chicago) and they just ran all the episodes of each series one after the other, then moved onto another series once they finished. (All the Secret Squirrels followed by all the Atom Ants, etc.) I'm told there was a station in Boston that aired the show this way too. But the fact that WFLD followed that exact format through all the years they ran the series suggests to me that it may have been part of their contract, because I don't remember them ever slipping up. (Although I do believe there was one episode that was announced as "The Secret Squirrel Show" at the beginning but was actually Atom Ant, or maybe it was the other way around.)

Certainly, if these series do get released on DVD (MOD or otherwise) it would be individually as separate series, as they were originally shown. The half-hour Banana Splits cutdowns have already been released by Warner Bros. in the UK. (They look and sound good, but they're not complete and not in their original format.) I know there were issues with the available masters for the one-hour shows (which is why at least a Season 1 set didn't come out in the US a few years ago) but hopefully those one-hour shows can be made available through Warner Archive. (The issue, as I recall, is that WB has most of the footage from the show in 35mm or video transfers of same, but all cut into separate segments, not the complete shows. They do have the complete Season 1 shows, but it's a choice of 16mm film prints or poorly-engineered one-inch video dubs from now-gone Quad tapes with color banding problems.) Between the various sources, the shows could be "restored" but it would involve piecing them together a minute here, six minutes there, 30 seconds there, etc. It's been done for old silent comedies but not for Saturday morning cartoon shows...

Mark Y

Screenwriter
It's not "the ultimate Banana Splits experience," but it's worth having until they do it right:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Banana-Splits-Complete-Season-DVD/dp/B0027UY87M/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1294924632&sr=1-1

The first show is included in the second volume of WB's Saturday Morning Cartoons: The 1970s (even though it's actually from the 1960s). It's the entire one-hour show including sponsor billboards and bumpers, though they did clip off the closing Hanna-Barbera logo and it's a rerun version with some skits replaced with others (they also replaced the Season 1 titles and bumpers with those from Season 2, but it actually did air this way on NBC):

http://www.amazon.com/Saturday-Morning-Cartoons-1970s-Vol/dp/B002GNOLY0/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1294925041&sr=1-2

There was talk of The Marvel Superheroes coming out a couple years ago, but it was cancelled. I've lost track of what (if anything) has been going on with that since then, other than the odd segment being included as an extra on various DVDs in Canada. I believe the Spiderman DVD set is out of print...

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Corey3rd

the half hour version runs on Boomerang
Those are the same versions on the UK DVD set -- oddly enough, I don't notice any "PAL speedup issue" on those DVDs.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'd heard that the Banana Splits wanted to really play their instruments. When they showed up on the set their first day they were surprised to find that they were expected to just pretend to play as if they weren't real musicians.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Will_B

I'd heard that the Banana Splits wanted to really play their instruments. When they showed up on the set their first day they were surprised to find that they were expected to just pretend to play as if they weren't real musicians.

...which prompted Snorky to quit at the end of the first season, and they replaced him with a different elephant...no one noticed until years later that they were two different elephants...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Oh yes, if you play the second season theme song backwards you can hear the words "Snorky is Dead" whispered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks