What's new

B&W vs. Dynaudio with Yamaha (1 Viewer)

RobertSchaez

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone compares B&W DM 601 or 602 series 3 with Dynaudio Audience 52 using a higher end Yamaha receiver? I have an RX-V3000 and am thinking about these two brands for 50/50% HT/Music. I listened to the DM603 series 2 vs Audience 60s a while back and preferred the detail and sound stage of the B&Ws. However, they were running off Rotel separates in a very small room. I realize the tweeters on both speakers are a different type, and I heard both like "higher end" electronics. Just wondered whether listening through my Yamaha if the B&W airiness and sparkle will turn into bright and fatiguing? Does my amp has enough juice for the Dynaudios, and will they pick up some detail paired with my Yamaha? I am trying to get as much feed back as possible before I think about asking the dealer for an in-home demo.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
From what I recall when I auditioned speakers a few years back, the Dynes have a 4 ohm load, which may or may not have an effect on the Yammy.

The B&Ws are not the most efficient (89db I think), but that Yamaha model should be able to power them with no problem.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
The B&W speakers will definitely be more shrill than the Dynaudios. Have you compared them? You're looking at speakers that are quite different. People tend to like metal tweeters OR soft dome tweeters but not both.

The "detail" that you are referring to may be the ringing that occurs with metal tweeters. Yes, it is fatiguing and frankly, I get a headache from it. Soft dome tweeters are more musical (IMHO) and can be listened to for hours without problems. I suggest that you spend quality time with both speakers. My personal preference would be the Dynaudios. They are superior in every respect (again IMO). The utilize better drivers, crossover disgn and cabinetry.

The Dynaudios will present a difficult load for a Yamaha receiver. Receivers in general (including Yamaha) are notoriously overrated in their power output capabilities. The B&W speakers are much more efficient and do not present a difficult load. Ultimately your ears must be the judge but the choice would not be a difficult one for me.

BTW, I own B&W speakers that I no longer use. I neither one nor am I a dealer for Dynaudio speakers. I currently use Triad Gold LCRs paired to an Anthem AVM20 or Tag McLaren AVR32 depending on the day for my front soundstage. They are significantly more expensive than the B&W and Dynaudio speakers you are considering but they are much closer to the sound of the Dynaudios than the B&W's. Regards and good luck.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
But Bill, how do you really feel about B&W???

Seriously, I agree with Bill that you should listen to both of them. I disagree that the Dynes would be too much of a drain on the Yammy. The lower line of Yammies might be a bit underpowered, but the higher line Yamahas have real-world power.

A buddy of mine just purchased 4 B&W 601s, the matching center channel, and the ASW 600 sub to go with his Yamaha receiver and he's ecstatic with his setup. IMHO you can't go wrong with B&W, which handle music and HT with equal ability.

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Let YOUR ears decide.

It looks like you currently own the receiver that you would be using to power the speakers. I have never seen either a B&W speaker dealer or a Dynaudio speaker dealer the won't let you take a demo home pair to try. Usually give them a CC# and you can take a pair home. See if you can arrange to have both pair's home at the same time and listen to a wide variety of music. Any high-end dealer worth their salt will allow in-home demo's.

I was able to do that when I compared my the Paradigm Studio Reference to the B&W CDM-NT's. I ended up purchasing the Paradigm's and just love them for my HT application. The B&W's were a little to harsh for my liking.

Having said that, I also have a stereo only setup and just love my Dynaudio's (1.3 SE). The clarity and detail comes without a hint of harshness.

I compare the sound of the B&W's (not the Nautilis line, which are MUCH less harsh than the 600 or CDM line) to a TV that has not been calibrated and is at the factory settings. It seems very bright and vibrant and grabs your attention, but eventually your eyes tire of the setting. You then calibrate your monitor with a disk like VE or AVIA and the picture at first seems very soft and somewhat dark, but after a while of viewing you realize that the picture is more real and full of detail and not tiring at all.

More people tend to like the bright picture and don't give the properly calibrated picture a chance because it can be a drastic change.

But, MOST IMPORTANTLY, let YOUR ears decide. In my opinion neither is wrong or right and you should buy what you feel will give you the most enjoyment for your HT dollar.

Mike

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
I use to run my Dynaudio 52's off of an Onkyo TX-DS777 (105 watts @ 8ohm) and they sounded wonderful. From the reviews it looks like your Yamaha will do even better. I keep buying bigger and more expensive Dyns but I think the 52's really hang in there with the big guys. Amazing little speakers.

No worries, Mitch

RobertSchaez

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input, everyone! I am definitely going to give the Dynaudios another in-depth listen with the B&Ws.
Although I haven't listened to them in a while, I was pretty set on the DM602s3's. Then, I started considering comments I've been reading here about fatigue and started thinking about my earlier comparison of a pair of CDM1SE's with a pair of Soliloquy 5.3's.
The CDM's sounded great right off the bat, but as I listened they got slightly abrasive sounding. I attributed it to the volume I had them up to, as well as the fact that I had been auditioning for a while. Then, for comparison, the salesman put the Soliloquys on. I didn't care for them at first, but the longer I listened, the more I liked. Unfortunately, they were out of my price range so I quit listening, and haven't listened to soft domes since.
BTW, Is it just my ears, or do CDM's sound brighter than the DM series?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks