What's new

B&W N804 and Yamaha RX-V1400 (1 Viewer)

Keith E F

Auditioning
So after spending several weeks listening to countless speakers, I put down a deposit on my new set of N804s. These things just moved me - it was a unreal experience...

I explained to the dealer (who was very helpful) about my knowledge level (none), and the fact that this is my first "high-end" set-up. He told me that the RX should do a reasonable job with the 804s, but I will more than likely want an amp in the future (and a sub for HT).

So tell me guys, will this be a reasonable starting point? Will the Yamaha be able to drive these speakers?

The front soundstage is also going to include the HTM1 -

Thanks in advance for any help -
Keith F

Felix_H

Stunt Coordinator
Even though the RX-V1400 is rated at 110w X 7, the Nautilus line likes (requires) more power to drive them smoothly.

You may be ok at lower volumes but you should really look into 200 watt amplification to bring out the best of B&W speakers especailly the Nautilus, Matrix, CDM, & 700 series.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Those Nautilus speakers definately need more pwer than an entry level receiver like the Yammy 1400. If i was dead set on a receiver for those speakers, i'd get something high current like a B&K AVR507. You could get the 1400 and add a reasonably priced amp like the Outlaw 755 (5 x 200wpc). I have a buddy who just picked this amp up B stock from Outlaw Audio and has it connected to a new Denon 3805.. Gobbs of power.. Your new speakers deserve & need proper amplification. Nice choice in speakers. Good luck. :)

Keith E F

Auditioning
Thanks guys - that's pretty much what I figured...

mo money, mo money, mo money.... 8)

Cheers,
Keith

SolomonP

Grip
First of all.... Congrats! B&Ws are great!

I'm running a pair of Matrix 802s (as well as some crappy non-B&W dipole rears) off of a Carver AV-505 (using a 3 year old Yamaha RX-800 or something like that--100x5--as a preamp). The Carver is an 80x5 amplifier, which may seem low, but it actually provides the 80x5, even in hard to drive loads, as opposed to Yamahas which are frequently overrated and offer limited dynamic headroom. We don't crank it up much, but it is always open and effortless sounding.

You can find an AV-505 at www-dot-onecall-dot-com for way cheap. A good interim step while you are on your way to 200 wpc nirvana....

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, congratulations. Nautilus line is great speakers.

I would not focus too much on the power. If you are serious about the quality sound, which you should be with your new N804, you want to look at something other than consumer line receivers.

I would first audition as many as amps as your dealer allows. Also you might want to loan a good quality source player (CD player or DVD player) from the dealer. With good source it would be easier for you to distinguish sonic signature of different amps.

I would recommend NAD as very good quality entry level audiophile receivers. My friend had $400 NAD receiver which sounded better than $2000 Yamaha DSP-A1, believe it or not. And that was with old B&W CDM SE line of speakers. Nautilus should deserve a lot more.

Enjoy your speakers, and welcome to the club!

Keith E F

Auditioning
Well guys, thanks I appreciate your help, even if you are making things tough for me.

Jongyoon - I bought the RX-V1400 believing that it was one of the better receivers for HT applications. It is difficult trying to build a complete 7.1 system while still trying to keep a sensible budget.

I wanted to spend the most money on the front L&R speakers. My wife didn't care for the HTM1 or HTM7, but didn’t mind the CMC - so that has already changed. Is this ideal, no, I realize that, but life is a compromise and only the perfectionists here would notice the difference.

So, my plan was to take the receiver to the store, hook up a Rotel 1080 amp and the Rotel RCD-1072 CD player. If things sound good, it all comes home with me – that with the RX-V1400 and everything else should give me a reasonable entry into the game on both the HT and Music fronts at the same time.

This will have to be my starting point (we all have to start somewhere); and then using this place as a reference, I'll "fix" the errors and improve things over the next several years.

Thanks Guys,
Keith

Tim Willis

Auditioning
Keith
You are headed in the right direction. I started to build my HT last year and purchased a set of B&W 802s and an HTM1. I did not want to buy new amps before the construction and dust was over so........ I hooked them up to my Denon 3200 downstairs which is I believe is rated at 100W per channel. It sounded OK and very listenable. I agree with the other responses that said you eventually want to go the Pre/Pro route. I completed my HT and I got a great deal on a Krell KAV 3250 at 250w x 3 and the speakers just came alive!!! The sound stage is more fully defined. I then bought 4 B&W 705s for my surrounds and ran out of money and the wifes patience. So I opted to go with a Dennon 3805 as a Pre/Pro and to run the 4 -705s. I will as time goes by trade the Denon 3805 out with a quality preamp.The 3805 will move down stairs to replace the 3200 that I still use. Your 804s are not as power hungry as the 802s and I belive that you can use the 1400 and it will sound reasonable with your 804s but you can use it as a Pre/Pro until you upgrade. Good luck and congrats on the 804's

Johan

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to say that the combo of Yamaha and Na 804 is not the ideal.
I would like to think its gonna be rather bright soundstage but if you do get a nice power amp then this speakers is really hard to beat.

They are really great and I think that in the Nautilus family that 804 and 802 deliver the most bang for the buck.

I had 2 pairs of 804 and a HTm-1 and I must say that HT set was really impressive.

The thing is with the Nautilus is that they do sound good with these kind of recivers but if you give them good sounding power that they deserve then the just blow you away :D

If you dont mind I putting a picture in of my old 804, Id advanced to 802 and they are sooooo power hungry to get the speed that I like.
Thats the thing with 804 the are so fast and nice love them:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks