What's new

AVR-254 best sub $300 receiver for my application? (1 Viewer)

dbkid13

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
So I have wanted to 'build' a home theater system for a while now and I came home on the 4th of July and saw the Polk Monitor 60's on Newegg for $108 a piece shipped so I decided now is the time. I purchased two of the 60’s along with a cs2 center. I then did a little reserach and purchased a Bic H100 from overstock using a coupon for $220 - though now I wish I would have went with the F12 and saved some money - oh well. Anyways, now its time for the receiver. I think the best bet for me is an AVR-254 from ebay. They sell for around $240 shipped. I know they have had a bad reputation but it seems like everything has been fixed. I enjoy home movies but also like to listen to music relatively loud once in a while. Is this the best sub $300 receiver I can get? I can spend a little more but would prefer not to given the times. Thanks for your input.

By the way the speakers are 200 watts max power, the subwoofer 500 watts max power, and the receiver is only 50 watts per channel. Will this be too little power for the speakers to sound good?

Maybe this is a better option http://www.us-appliance.com/avr590.html

-Sam

Edited by dbkid13 - 7/11/2009 at 01:20 am GMT
Edited by dbkid13 - 7/11/2009 at 01:27 am GMT

werty7777

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martin
I have no real experience with the recent HK receivers. However I find it hard to believe that a refurb on Ebay is best. The Denon or an Onkyo 507 would be better. I know I wouldn't be happy with the low wattage from the 254 although it is mentioned that the amps are legit in HK receiver. Here's a cut from cnet.

Don't get spooked that the watts-per-channel specs on these receivers seem low. While other manufacturers tend to inflate their power ratings, Harman Kardon sticks to real-world numbers--in other words, Harman Kardon's 30-watt receiver may sound just as loud as another company's "100-watt" receiver.

Overall, these receivers are a big improvement over the existing models, but they'll face an uphill battle versus the competition. Onkyo's TX-SR606 has most of the same features as the Harmon Kardon 254--plus it has four HDMI inputs--and it's currently selling online for about $440. Sony is also offering four HDMI inputs in the midrange level, and the STR-DG820 only costs $400.

I know you said sub $300 dollars but when you are obviously willing to use Ebay, as I do, all the above receivers start coming down to that level.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm a little late on this one but it looks like the link you gave for the Denon 590 shows the specs for the 790.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks