What's new

AVM-20 and mixing RCA, XLR pre-outs? (1 Viewer)

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Hi!
I have an AVM-20, which has both RCA and XLR pre-outs. In my 7.1 setup, I have a 5 ch. amp that is RCA inputs only and a 2 ch. (mains) amp that has both RCA and XLR inputs.

Would there be any beneift to running main L and R channels XLR and all others RCA or should I keep it consistent with RCA outs for all 7 connections?

Thanks,
-Paul

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Paul, I think you will be fine. I am going to do the same thing...run balanced on my main L/R when my Odyssey Stratos comes in, but power the surrounds with a small Rotel RB-1050 which has no balanced inputs.

The only thing you may need to be cognizant of is balancing the levels for each speaker for some say you get a slight db gain when you run XLR, but you are an old pro...I don't need to tell you about calibration! ;)

I think you will be fine...no worries.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Paul,

I've used both combinations and the only benefit I can see are the normal advantages of either style of cables. XLR's for long runs, no inteference and ease of connection. RCA's for flexibility usage in the future with other components.

Now I am running all XLR's, but the only reason I did that was because I went to a silver wire, plus I like the ease of connection. The interference may not come into play as the runs are 1 meter, but I figured if there is interference, all XLR's might help.

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
This brings up an interesting thought. Since I'm sure that both the 7 channel (RCA and XLR) outputs are always active in zone 1, even though zone 2 and 3 are L:R (stereo) only, can you run the RCA's for one HT and the XLR's for another HT? Effectively making two zone 1's. You could maybe even configure the 12V triggers to turn on the RCA amps for the one HT separate from the XLR amps for the other HT.

My upstairs TV has only a pair of speaker in the same room and that's just fine, but I've got a few extra speakers that could probably work well in a limited role 2nd HT scenario. I recognize that you'd really only use one of the two Zone 1's at a time or any volume changes to one room would affect the other room. I know that there would also be speaker distance setting problems and such, (maybe an outboard digital delay box could solve that) but I think it'd still be kinda cool to be able to have TWO 5 or 7.1 setups with just the one AVM20!!

Even if this worked, I don't think I'd bother, but if it does work, it might give Anthem owners an even more flexible and useful pre/pro.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Pro,

I recognize that you'd really only use one of the two Zone 1's at a time or any volume changes to one room would affect the other room. I know that there would also be speaker distance setting problems and such...
Yeah, I agree, time alignment and bass management would be nearly impossible to produce properly in both zones.

Michael

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Thanks, Guys!
As I had hoped, I've heard from some of the finest AVM-20 "usual suspects".

Sounds like I'd be OK to run XLR with a couple of small benefits for doing so.

Thanks,
-Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks