What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022) (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
That's been true ever since 1989 (excepting 1994 and True Lies) for any Jim Cameron movie. The Abyss had no real competition, and neither did T2, and neither did Titanic. JC is both experienced and genuinely technically minded, allowing him to not just employ visual effects, but to advance their utilization. It's no surprise that he employs visual effects better than his peers. The Avatar films almost feel like "post-VFX" movies - their use is utterly fundamental and permeate every frame.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
That's been true ever since 1989 (excepting 1994 and True Lies) for any Jim Cameron movie. The Abyss had no real competition, and neither did T2, and neither did Titanic. JC is both experienced and genuinely technically minded, allowing him to not just employ visual effects, but to advance their utilization. It's no surprise that he employs visual effects better than his peers. The Avatar films almost feel like "post-VFX" movies - their use is utterly fundamental and permeate every frame.

I will say that the water creature that snakes through the hallways until it reaches Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio in The Abyss blew me away, as did the T1000 in T2, and the meticulous recreation of the ship (and time period) in Titanic. And, of course, both Avatar films are just astounding in their beauty. (Heck, even the special effects in Aliens and True Lies are top notch!)

When special effects can make my eyes pop, they truly are special!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
"Impressive. Most impressive."

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 6.12.57 PM.png

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The HFR for this movie is 48fps not 60.

I don’t think BD or UHD BD has 48fps in the specifications.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
That's why I was hoping for 60 fps upscale, it's the only HFR format for UHD

Last edited:

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, IMAX is way too busy with the rotation of new summer blockbusters to bring The Way of Water back now. Most movies for the next month or so are going to end up with one week each on premium screens: Fast X this weekend; Little Mermaid next weekend; Spider-Verse for the first weekend of June; then Transformers; then Flash. Etc. There is no place on the calendar for Avatar.

It had an exceptional theatrical run but has more or less ended that now. Last weekend, it was showing in 35 theaters in North America and grossed $34,831, placing #25 on the box office chart. Disney has moved on and is now supporting the releases of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and The Little Mermaid.

Maybe they'll show it again on a short basis prior to the third film next year, but certainly not now.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wouldn’t be surprised to see it reappear in IMAX sometime in Aug/Sept/Oct - precedent was the original film got IMAX re-release with added footage around that timeframe. IMAX historically in past decade has filled weekends in that time frame with recent repertory programming.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This was a remake of the first movie and worse, not the entire movie. I bet they are going to chop the first movie into 4 and that's Avatar 2,3,4,5!

After all this they found out that they have to fight the enemy in the jungle and have to go back to the jungle? Basically going back to movie 1?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Deadline said:
John Djahanshah Refoua, an Oscar-nominated film editor who worked on Avatar and Avatar: The Way of Water, has died. He was 58. Refoua had been diagnosed with a rare bile cancer called cholangiocarcinoma, his wife Serena Refoua confirmed.

May he Rest In Peace. :(

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I know I'm late to the party. I pre-ordered Avatar 2 on iTunes digital and didn't feel motivated to watch it until this morning.

It was an entertaining film but, frankly, it just seemed more of the same. It was like watching the first film, only with even more eye candy.

I don't regret purchasing the film. Well, maybe a little. It's now streaming on Disney + so, had I known I was going to wait so long, I could have saved $20.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks