What's new

Attention Canadian Shoppers (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I was hoping to order BHD from My.Sony for $17 US but they wouldn't ship to Canada. :frowning:
Thanks Joesph, I'm going to try and post in this thread on at least a weekly basis. Maybe we can get our own little mini-Weekly Roundup-Up going. :D
I'll let you guys know what I find at Costco next week.
Later!
Jeremy

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I'm a "best price" shopper too, since I buy a lot of DVD's. I check the usual stores, but if you order quickly "around" the release date you will often find amazon.ca has the best prices, sometimes a lot cheaper...they seem to adjust prices after they see what everybody else is selling for, usually UP*. So don't skip amazon, their prices aren't "American-based" like they used to be i.e. much higher than we're used to here, especially for sets.

For those looking for the new Warner 2-disc SE's, amazon.ca has them for $24.49 each, slightly cheaper than other places, free shipping if you're planning on getting at least 2 of them (i.e. >$39)...I ordered The Right Stuff and Once Upon a Time in America, the only stuff I'm getting this week, the last 3 weeks have been really heavy for me, lots of stuff I wanted...

Oh yeah, anybody find Trailer Park Boys for less than $50 (that's what it is at Wal-Mart where I got it)?

*Edit: See what I mean, on release day the Warner SE's all went up in price a few bucks at amazon...the trick is to order 2-3 days before release to get the lower price, then cancel early on release day (i.e. at the last minute, before shipping) if you have found a better price in the meantime.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Animatrix is $19.99 at Best Buy which is a good buy as well.
I don't get a best buy flyer :frowning: so I have no idea what the prices are like unless I visit the store. Heck I didn't even know the store was open here until yesterday when I visited it (driving by).
They had a few good deals, they the batman movie set (4 movies) for $50.99, they had a few other good sets that were in the $33.99 range for 2 movies.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yeah, BB is one of those places that tends to raise their prices a fair bit a week after a DVD is released. I have noticed, locally, that they very very rarely have a better price than Future Shop...anyway they price match with FS, usually just on your say so. Also, FS will price match with amazon.ca, in case you didn't know, because they both have *Canadian* web sites...FS PM's with any Canadian web site.

Now I feel really weird saying that FS is a cheap place to get DVD's, they used to be one of the worst places, next to the music stores (HMV is a joke, usually). But if I'm in the mood, and know the amazon and BB prices, I can just go to FS and get the cheapest prices. But I get amazon discs within 1-2 days with no effort, so sometimes I just do that when they're cheapest. Wal-Mart used to be the cheapest place for everything in DVD that they carried, but not much anymore...usually only a few cents cheaper than other good places, if not more expensive.

My favorite place to get DVD's and CD's used to be A&B Sound, but everything has changed there this year, especially lately, and their prices suck, as bad as other music stores. New ownership? Whatever, not worth bothering with now, used to be the cheapest place anywhere on the web, and if you live in Ontario you saved the 8% PST too right off the bat.

Oh yeah, if anyone wanted The Battle of Britain, amazon.ca seems to have some now, it has been very hard to find in Canada except at ridiculous over-MSRP prices. It was $12 but is $15 now.

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
Figured I'd slip this in here too (already posted in PC/Games round up), but Canadians read this and there might be some gamers out there:

Nintendo quietly dropped the Gamecube price in Canada to $200 CAD from $230 CAD. Still includes free stuff. Saw this at Futureshop, but I think all the major retailers (Best Buy (well BB for sure, heh), EB, etc.) are doing the same.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Good point...I never look at these "stuck on" offers any more since they all blow, never found one that was slightly worthwhile to me. Usually I've already got the "free" DVD's, or I don't want them (if I did, I would have already bought them:)).
[Also, I'm a little down on the inside offers as I've had to "deface" the inserts for POP...and I still haven't got anything back from the ones I've sent in in the last 3 months...but still hopeful.]

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Yeah, it seems they purposely make them so very few people will redeem them. This has to be one of the worst offers I've seen. I threw it out even before I found out it wasn't valid in Canada.

Rob Colburn

Auditioning
I just got back from Future Shop where I picked up The Right Stuff and Once Upon A Time in America. I was hoping to get them at the deal listed above. I was very pleased when they came up as 18.99 each, it seems the computer applied the 5.00 off to each of them. Not a bad deal at all. I have seen them for over 30.00 at HMV.

Rob
"For anyone who is going after those new Warner SE's (Robin Hood, The Right Stuff, Giant and Once Upon A Time In America), Futureshop is giving a $5.00 instant discount if you buy 2 of those titles at once. Their list price is $23.99 each but with the discount it works out to $21.49 each which ain't too bad."

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Rogers Video has a good deal, 2 Pre-viewed for $15.00 (or $9.99 each). Also there "new" pre-viewed movies are starting at $16.99 rather than $19.99.

I went to Blockbuster last night and they had "Darkness Falls" for $19.99, it was $9.99 at Rogers!

Gawd Blockbuster SUCKS!

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I really wish I had a Rogers close to me. I have a Blockbuster. They have about a zillion copies of Master of Disguise for $19.99.
Yee-haw.... :frowning:
If anyone sees a previewed copy of Spirited Away for 9.99 I'd gladly pay you for it + shipping + a little extra.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Good day friends,
I did a little comparison shopping for you if you're interested in a book on our favourite format.
After reading a piece of news (07/24/03) posted on The Digital Bits Website detailing what looks like a promising and comprehensive book on DVD and noticing the link to amazon.com I did a search on amazon.ca.
The Digital Bits Insider's Guide to DVD (September 1, 2003 release) by Bill Hunt and Todd Doogan is currently available at amazon.ca for $23.16 CDN. Comparably, chapters.indigo.ca is selling it for $28.95 CDN.

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
Today (Aug. 5) only, get one of the following recent releases for only $14.99 at FutureShop.ca:

Fast and the Furious: Tricked Out edition
Shanghai Knights
Gangs of New York
The Animatrix

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Thank-you, Dave. I just picked up Shanghai Knights. My FutureShop was out of stock on Gangs of New York; in stock on the other titles though.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
If you haven't already picked them up: For fans of Tom Hanks, Sam Mendes, and Steven Spielberg,
Futureshop has Road To Perdition (all versions, including the one in dts though excluding an HBO featurette) and Catch Me If You Can priced at $19.99 each.

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry I don't have any good deals for you guys but I do want to find out where I can get Digital Video Essentials in Canada? Future Shop had it for a while on their web site but I can't find it anymore from their future release section.

Thanks for your help,

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks