What's new
World Wide Stereo

aspect ratio viewing mode (1 Viewer)

jasper h

Auditioning
I have a phillips widescreen tv that has 5 viewing modes - auto (fills entire screen), 4:3, 14:9, 16:9 and widescreen. The user guide states that these are for re-formatting 4:3 broadcasts but I suspect they are also for viewing widescreen dvd's.
I'm just not sure how best to view a dvd (although I am aware it depends on the dvd). Should I always use the auto setting for movies or is it sometimes best to use the 16.9 or widescreen setting. What should I look for on the back of the dvd to help me decide (ie enhanced 16.9 etc).
Any help / input will be greatly appreciated.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
You should view anamorphic (enhanced for 16:9, enhanced for widescreen) DVD's in Auto or 16:9 mode, whichever mode does no zooming, stretching or cropping. This will cause small bars on 2.35:1 movies, but this is normal and preserves the OAR. Non-anamorphic DVD's should be watched in whatever mode zooms and crops with no distortion, probably 'widescreen' but I am not sure of you TV. 4:3 DVD's should be watched in 4:3 to preserve the OAR.

Of course you are free to mess with the aspect ratio of your DVD's as you see fit, but that will change the OAR, something this forum frowns on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks