What's new

Arrow Films to release Day of Anger, Blind Woman's Curse, and Mark of the Devil (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
tele1962 said:
That's a shame, your missing so much.

That's not fair.

I too only have a very small handful of criterion discs - a couple of Kurosawa Samurai flicks, their release of Godzilla, Brazil and some Hitchcock. While I very well might like some of their french arthouse films, I have limited shelf space and money and I can barely keep up just on the grindhouse flicks coming out. Yes, I might like Au Revoir Les Enfants, Babette’s Feast and Bottle Rocket, I KNOW that I'll like Exterminators of the Year 3000, Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo and Scream Blacula, Scream.

I don't think that holding someone's feet to a fire for not wanting to try discs from a genre that they have no interest is fair at all. 30 bucks for a Spaghetti Western sight unseen is a steep entry fee for a movie that might bore them to tears. Life is too short to watch boring movies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have four Arrow releases in my collection which are listed below. I would buy more BD releases from them, if Arrow releases more titles to my film taste. All of this commentary about people having grudges or something against Arrow is a bunch of noise that I don't think benefits anybody in this discussion. I know what I like in film and everybody else knows the same thing about themselves so we don't need some stranger telling us what they're missing as they're not viewing these films from our individual perspectives. I not only think it's unfair, but disrespectful to others. How we spend our individual monies is our personal business and our business only.

I'm not interceding here in an official capacity, but I'm not liking the tone of this thread as it's pitting each of us against the other if we don't want to buy Arrow titles they're currently releasing to us.

The Naked City

The Killers

Brute Force

Remo Williams, The Adventure Begins...

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Robert no one is pitching anyone against each other. Saying people are missing out on something is merely an observation and my opinion as many of the movies I purchase are blind buys and I fail to see how that can be construed as being offencive in any way shape or form, as you say if it's not for you it's not for you.

I know there are loads of titles I am " missing out on " from the likes of Criterion etc and if someone told me that I can not for the life of me see how that was being disrespectful or unfair it's a fact.

I offered to move to a place where the titles are openly discussed but unfortunately one member kept goading for more.

I'm out.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
tele1962 said:
Robert no one is pitching anyone against each other. Saying people are missing out on something is merely an observation and my opinion as many of the movies I purchase are blind buys and I fail to see how that can be construed as being offencive in any way shape or form, as you say if it's not for you it's not for you.

I know there are loads of titles I am " missing out on " from the likes of Criterion etc and if someone told me that I can not for the life of me see how that was being disrespectful or unfair it's a fact.

I offered to move to a place where the titles are openly discussed but unfortunately one member kept goading for more.

I'm out.
Everyone has some "motive" some "hidden agenda" against Arrow, or some perverse reason to not purchase the titles. You've done this from the beginning, I'm afraid, not just in this thread but every one that you start and you've started a LOT of Arrow threads in the International section. You may not see it, but your posts come off like you're haranguing people about Arrow and lack of interest in these titles and when people tell you that's not the case, you don't stop. It's certainly all here in this thread - several of us have been accused of "ulterior motives." I'm afraid not.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
haineshisway said:
Everyone has some "motive" some "hidden agenda" against Arrow, or some perverse reason to not purchase the titles. You've done this from the beginning, I'm afraid, not just in this thread but every one that you start and you've started a LOT of Arrow threads in the International section. You may not see it, but your posts come off like you're haranguing people about Arrow and lack of interest in these titles and when people tell you that's not the case, you don't stop. It's certainly all here in this thread - several of us have been accused of "ulterior motives." I'm afraid not.

Case in point ^. At most opportunity's this being one, you have put the boot in so to speak but because of who you think you are on here your allowed some slack on that even when proven wrong on many occasions, but no matter we can all see it now it works now.

I started a lot of threads in the international section because no one else had to be honest, and I found these films to be of particular interest to me and hopefully to others at a proper price point.

Strangely on all other forums I post on there is no such complaint, only here, from you and a few others, now why would that be do you think............conspiracy theory's aside?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
tele1962 said:
Case in point ^. At most opportunity's this being one, you have put the boot in so to speak but because of who you think you are on here your allowed some slack on that even when proven wrong on many occasions, but no matter we can all see it now it works now.

I started a lot of threads in the international section because no one else had to be honest, and I found these films to be of particular interest to me and hopefully to others at a proper price point.

Strangely on all other forums I post on there is no such complaint, only here, from you and a few others, now why would that be do you think............conspiracy theory's aside?
You really need to stop, my friend. You've been accusing me and others of this stuff from the beginning and I, for one, have had it. People have stated their OPINIONS on these and other titles. Some of us have said that when there's a title we want we will buy it and then, if the fancy suits us, we will discuss or not. What boot have I put - I posted the truth - not an opinion, and your posts here prove everything I've said. I'm not allowed slack on here and what does who I am have to do with anything? Explain what you're talking about when you say there is "no such complaint" - about what? The titles? The price point? Perhaps the other forums are more interested in this stuff than here - in fact, several people have said that as long as that's the case, you should be happy and should be able to post and get responses to your heart's content. Unlike you, I have not accused anyone of anything. Unlike you, I haven't been rude and repeatedly accusatory. And yes, we can all see how it works now - just not in the way you think. Really - enough already.

But to bring this back to Arrow and one of the titles mentioned in this thread - because I am a spaghetti western fan, I did purchase Day of Anger - why, how can that BE? I, who must hate Arrow with every fibre of my being, just gave them MONEY, just as I will for Blood and Black Lace - the horror. I'm watching Day of Anger now and it's a good film, one I'd never seen before. The transfer, which I found a bit brown in the first twenty minutes, seems to have found its footing after that in terms of the color, and it's a lovely transfer - especially enjoy the Ortolani score, which is terrific. Recommended by the likes of me.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
haineshisway said:
You really need to stop, my friend. You've been accusing me and others of this stuff from the beginning and I, for one, have had it. People have stated their OPINIONS on these and other titles. Some of us have said that when there's a title we want we will buy it and then, if the fancy suits us, we will discuss or not. What boot have I put - I posted the truth - not an opinion, and your posts here prove everything I've said. I'm not allowed slack on here and what does who I am have to do with anything? Explain what you're talking about when you say there is "no such complaint" - about what? The titles? The price point? Perhaps the other forums are more interested in this stuff than here - in fact, several people have said that as long as that's the case, you should be happy and should be able to post and get responses to your heart's content. Unlike you, I have not accused anyone of anything. Unlike you, I haven't been rude and repeatedly accusatory. And yes, we can all see how it works now - just not in the way you think. Really - enough already.

But to bring this back to Arrow and one of the titles mentioned in this thread - because I am a spaghetti western fan, I did purchase Day of Anger - why, how can that BE? I, who must hate Arrow with every fibre of my being, just gave them MONEY, just as I will for Blood and Black Lace - the horror. I'm watching Day of Anger now and it's a good film, one I'd never seen before. The transfer, which I found a bit brown in the first twenty minutes, seems to have found its footing after that in terms of the color, and it's a lovely transfer - especially enjoy the Ortolani score, which is terrific. Recommended by the likes of me.

Deleted as again it's not worth it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, let's stop it and the hatchet is buried as continuing this line of discussion is non-value added to all of us.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I really had no hatchet, so I went out and bought one and it is now happily buried. And now I shall finish Day of Anger. I could really be happy watching spaghetti westerns forever - even the ones that aren't classics are always interesting to watch.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I take it DAY OF ANGER (the film, not the sentiments on this thread, lol) is considered one of the better spaghetti westerns? I've been burned by too many bad ones. For instance, how many Django ripoffs are there? It would be great if someone were to compile a list of which ones are worthy and which ones I shouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Arrow's upcoming CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES sounds right up my alley but I've never heard of it - maybe it's a masterpiece or maybe it was buried for a reason :lol:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Which Spaghetti Westerns have you liked, Luis? Might be able to determine if you would like Day of Anger based on that. On the film itself, I always like seeing Lee Van Cleef in a Spaghetti Western...he just seems like he is supposed to be there to the extent that when I watch one without him I sometimes wonder "When is Lee Van Cleef going to appear?"

I'm a fan of the Spaghetti West and so to me putting most of these films on is going to guarantee a fun ride but I admit the quality of these films is all over the map.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
cineMANIAC said:
I take it DAY OF ANGER (the film, not the sentiments on this thread, lol) is considered one of the better spaghetti westerns? I've been burned by too many bad ones. For instance, how many Django ripoffs are there? It would be great if someone were to compile a list of which ones are worthy and which ones I shouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Arrow's upcoming CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES sounds right up my alley but I've never heard of it - maybe it's a masterpiece or maybe it was buried for a reason :lol:
I do know this is on Tarentinos all time top 10 list of spaghetti westerns.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Sergio Leone, 1966)
For a Few Dollars More (Sergio Leone, 1965)
Django (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)
The Mercenary (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)
Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone, 1968)
A Fistful of Dollars (Sergio Leone, 1964)
Day of Anger (Tonino Valerii, 1967)
Death Rides a Horse (Giulio Petroni, 1967)
Navajo Joe (Sergio Corbucci,1966)
The Return of Ringo (Duccio Tessar, 1965)
The Big Gundown (Sergio Sollima, 1966)
A Pistol for Ringo (Duccio Tessari, 1965)
The Dirty Outlaws (Franco Rossetti, 1967)
The Great Silence (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)
The Grand Duel (Giancarlo Santi, 1972)
Shoot the Living, Pray for the Dead (Giuseppe Vari, 1971)
Tepepa (Giulio Petroni, 1968)
The Ugly Ones (Eugenio Martin, 1966)
Viva Django! (Ferdinando Baldi, 1967)
Machine Gun Killers (Paolo Bianchini, 1968

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Reggie W said:
Which Spaghetti Westerns have you liked, Luis? Might be able to determine if you would like Day of Anger based on that. On the film itself, I always like seeing Lee Van Cleef in a Spaghetti Western...he just seems like he is supposed to be there to the extent that when I watch one without him I sometimes wonder "When is Lee Van Cleef going to appear?"

I'm a fan of the Spaghetti West and so to me putting most of these films on is going to guarantee a fun ride but I admit the quality of these films is all over the map.

I like the classics, mainly, the Leone entries, and I do enjoy some of the cheesier/hardcore ones like Four of the Apocalypse and Django but many of these were fly-by-night productions made to cash in, I just don't have the time to sit through the mediocre ones. And by that I mean the ones with very bad production values, bad dialogue or films that are just set-pieces and no substance. BTW, I blind-bought a copy of Day of Anger because it's from Arrow, who have a bit of a higher standard :lol:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Robin9 said:
.... so I'm placing you on my "ignore" list.
Original post deleted. Please do not repost or continue in this vein.

See HTF Rules:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

10. No personal attacks. We expect all members to treat each other with consideration and respect. While we encourage lively debate, we do not allow personal attacks. This includes direct attacks, such as name-calling, as well as indirect attacks, such as repeated baiting of a member in a provocative or belittling manner. If you believe that you have been subjected to a personal attack, or have witnessed one on another member, please see the section on Dealing with Problems for instructions on how to proceed.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Finished Day of Anger and my thoughts: The film is not one of the great spaghetti westerns, IMO - it's good, and it has Lee Van Cleef, which is always a plus and probably makes it worth buying. But it's a strange movie (I watched the longer Italian cut and I may give the shorter cut a try and see if it plays better). The director worked with Leone and the latter's influence is in every frame. A big plus is the score by Riz Ortolani.

The transfer - here's where I'll probably enter controversial territory, but I'm just calling it as I see it and my opinion is mine own and I know the disc has gotten raves - however, I doubt the people raving ever saw these spaghetti westerns at the time of their release. So, first off, the transfer itself is terrific - sharp and without a spec of anything on it. Sound is excellent, too. Where I have a problem, naturally, is the color timing. It's certainly one of the weirdest things I've ever seen and I've seen a lot. For the first fifteen minutes or so I sat thinking why is this all so brown - why are the clearly sunshiny skies white rather than blue (you can see clouds and if you can see clouds then the sky around them should really have some blue in it). Then suddenly we leave the town and the young guy is following Mr. Van Cleef on horseback. And voila - color. Blue skies. Good skin tones. That lasts for a while, then we're back to brown for a while. Sometimes the timing changes from scene to scene sometimes from shot to shot. There's one sequence where the skin tones go completely orangeish. Then not. It's like the colorist was just going with whatever he/she felt for a particular scene and just changed it up willy-nilly. There's not a whit of consistency about it. Having owned the Leone trilogy in 35mm dye transfer - consistency in color was absolute. These were never pale films. These Techniscope films that were printed in IB had a very specific look to them. I'm not sure that this inconsistency will bother anyone but it sure bothered me. Otherwise, a stellar presentation of a second-tier spaghetti western. I prefer many others to this, including The Big Duel, Sabata, Death Rides a Horse, The Big Gundown and, of course, all the Leones.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
haineshisway said:
Finished Day of Anger and my thoughts: The film is not one of the great spaghetti westerns, IMO - it's good, and it has Lee Van Cleef, which is always a plus and probably makes it worth buying. But it's a strange movie (I watched the longer Italian cut and I may give the shorter cut a try and see if it plays better). The director worked with Leone and the latter's influence is in every frame. A big plus is the score by Riz Ortolani.

The transfer - here's where I'll probably enter controversial territory, but I'm just calling it as I see it and my opinion is mine own and I know the disc has gotten raves - however, I doubt the people raving ever saw these spaghetti westerns at the time of their release. So, first off, the transfer itself is terrific - sharp and without a spec of anything on it. Sound is excellent, too. Where I have a problem, naturally, is the color timing. It's certainly one of the weirdest things I've ever seen and I've seen a lot. For the first fifteen minutes or so I sat thinking why is this all so brown - why are the clearly sunshiny skies white rather than blue (you can see clouds and if you can see clouds then the sky around them should really have some blue in it). Then suddenly we leave the town and the young guy is following Mr. Van Cleef on horseback. And voila - color. Blue skies. Good skin tones. That lasts for a while, then we're back to brown for a while. Sometimes the timing changes from scene to scene sometimes from shot to shot. There's one sequence where the skin tones go completely orangeish. Then not. It's like the colorist was just going with whatever he/she felt for a particular scene and just changed it up willy-nilly. There's not a whit of consistency about it. Having owned the Leone trilogy in 35mm dye transfer - consistency in color was absolute. These were never pale films. These Techniscope films that were printed in IB had a very specific look to them. I'm not sure that this inconsistency will bother anyone but it sure bothered me. Otherwise, a stellar presentation of a second-tier spaghetti western. I prefer many others to this, including The Big Duel, Sabata, Death Rides a Horse, The Big Gundown and, of course, all the Leones.
Bruce, as Robert Harris noted in HIS review of this title, the budget wasn't there for Arrow to do a more extensive job of color correction...it is what it is, given the nature of the source material and transfer...it's problematic, but without the money for doing it properly... :(

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
lukejosephchung said:
Bruce, as Robert Harris noted in HIS review of this title, the budget wasn't there for Arrow to do a more extensive job of color correction...it is what it is, given the nature of the source material and transfer...it's problematic, but without the money for doing it properly... :(
Yes, read that - I'm a stickler for color, as most here know, and many of the non-Leone spaghettis have received gorgeous color transfers. I totally understand about the budget stuff.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I spun both DAY OF ANGER (long version) and MARK OF THE DEVIL over the weekend. Really enjoyed both of them, and thought they both looked great. I can see the colour discrepancies Bruce mentions, but I personally didn't find them distracting. The story is different enough from most of these to hold my interest, and I'm sure any western fans will get a bit of a kick out of this one.

MARK OF THE DEVIL was a really good, pretty tight "Witchfinder General" rip-off. The ridiculous (but fitting) gore will probably put most of he people here off of it, but for those who like that type of thing you can do a lot worse than this one. Also on disc is a pretty good talking head style documentary on British horror in the seventies that had me rubbing my wallet with temptation for a bunch of titles I hadn't been aware of.

I might try to spin MASSACRE GUN tonight is I get a chance. So far, I'm really pleased with the ARROW titles released so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks