What's new

Are You Getting An Apple Card? (1 Viewer)

tofurobot

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
I applied and got the Apple card and it was painless and I was approved in a few minutes. After signing up on my phone they sent an email with tracking info for the physical card.

I will say that activating my physical Apple card by holding it near the phone was slick. The same process as setting up air pods. Apple has always had a good integration story.

The savings account has been a bit of a journey. It is not all Apple’s fault and my credit union is partially to blame. I finally got it all setup, so far, so good.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I applied and got the Apple card and it was painless and I was approved in a few minutes. After signing up on my phone they sent an email with tracking info for the physical card.

I will say that activating my physical Apple card by holding it near the phone was slick. The same process as setting up air pods. Apple has always had a good integration story.

The savings account has been a bit of a journey. It is not all Apple’s fault and my credit union is partially to blame. I finally got it all setup, so far, so good.

Jeff, glad to hear you got it set up. Yes, the card is very "Apple-like" in its setup.

Hope you make some money off of your efforts while the interest rate is still generous.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Don’t know if this has been brought up, but after trying the Apple Card, and getting one for my son, everything went south.

Working with Apple was easy, but there is minimal cooperation between Apple and the bank, which is not terribly Apple-like.

I was placed in a situation for which I had to change my Apple ID. All went well with Apple. But then cancelled subscriptions started showing up on the Apple Card. I spoke with the bank rep who told me that the Apple Card is locked to a single ID, which cannot be changed.

Paid off balance. Tried to cancel card.

More new charges from old redundant subscriptions that had been transferred to new Apple ID.

Only way to check for new charges is to log out from Apple device, and log in with old Apple ID, which voids functions such as Apple wallet.

Was unable to get bank and Apple reps on call at same time so that bank rep could understand why charges were coming through.

After I thought all was well, received a notice of non-payment from bank for interest payments on account that had not been voided by bank after Apple reversed redundant charges from multiple accounts - which only they - but not bank could see.

This took months to straighten out.

Lesson learned. Apple Card is pretty and works, but all auto-payments and subscriptions must be cancelled and balance paid with your current Apple ID before you even think about changing said ID. After which you can get new card under new ID.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Don’t know if this has been brought up, but after trying the Apple Card, and getting one for my son, everything went south.

Working with Apple was easy, but there is minimal cooperation between Apple and the bank, which is not terribly Apple-like.

I was placed in a situation for which I had to change my Apple ID. All went well with Apple. But then cancelled subscriptions started showing up on the Apple Card. I spoke with the bank rep who told me that the Apple Card is locked to a single ID, which cannot be changed.

Paid off balance. Tried to cancel card.

More new charges from old redundant subscriptions that had been transferred to new Apple ID.

Only way to check for new charges is to log out from Apple device, and log in with old Apple ID, which voids functions such as Apple wallet.

Was unable to get bank and Apple reps on call at same time so that bank rep could understand why charges were coming through.

After I thought all was well, received a notice of non-payment from bank for interest payments on account that had not been voided by bank after Apple reversed redundant charges from multiple accounts - which only they - but not bank could see.

This took months to straighten out.

Lesson learned. Apple Card is pretty and works, but all auto-payments and subscriptions must be cancelled and balance paid with your current Apple ID before you even think about changing said ID. After which you can get new card under new ID.

Sorry to learn you had to go through all that, RAH.

In a way, I almost understand where Apple is coming from on the issue of changing an ID and anything that is tied to their services and subscription.

I think it's far more common to change your Apple password than an ID. A password change is fairly easy.

But a complete ID change is apparently something Apple takes very seriously security-wise as you are creating a new identity on their platform.

But I'm glad you spelled this all out for us, as I would have never known the complications that stem from changing your Apple ID.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just applied for the card and was immediately approved.
It said the card should arrive in about 2 weeks.

Now I need to figure out the savings account thing.

Arrived today so exactly one week.

Took seconds to activate.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Just tried to open an Apple savings account but they don’t accept joint account yet so we’re out of luck for now.

Other option is to go into our cu and for us to open one up under just my name and drop a bunch of dough into it just to do this Apple thing.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Just tried to open an Apple savings account but they don’t accept joint account yet so we’re out of luck for now.

Other option is to go into our cu and for us to open one up under just my name and drop a bunch of dough into it just to do this Apple thing.
That's a bummer. Not interested in starting another account.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
From what I am reading, it looks like Goldman Sachs is getting ready to hand over Apple Card to American Express.

I don't know if that will be a good thing or not, and, what effect it will have on Apple Savings and the very generous interest rate we are receiving at the moment.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
From what I am reading, it looks like Goldman Sachs is getting ready to hand over Apple Card to American Express.

I don't know if that will be a good thing or not, and, what effect it will have on Apple Savings and the very generous interest rate we are receiving at the moment.
Has American Express ever offered a "rewards" card without an annual fee? Our Delta Sky Miles AmEx gold card carries a $100 annual fee. We get enough benefits between free luggage, extra Sky Miles and AmEx offers at places we do business to more than cover the annual fee. However, I doubt that would be the case for an Apple rewards card -- you would have to spend a LOT of money on Apple products annually. Maybe if they provide access to AmEx offers, too, it will help.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Has American Express ever offered a "rewards" card without an annual fee? Our Delta Sky Miles AmEx gold card carries a $100 annual fee. We get enough benefits between free luggage, extra Sky Miles and AmEx offers at places we do business to more than cover the annual fee. However, I doubt that would be the case for an Apple rewards card -- you would have to spend a LOT of money on Apple products annually. Maybe if they provide access to AmEx offers, too, it will help.

American Express is notorious for fee-based cards.

I believe I have their "Blue" card (not sure it exists anymore) that doesn't have an annual fee. However, I don't know if there are rewards attached to it or not. I don't use the card.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
AmEx followed more or less the same trend as other credit card companies, but of course, mainly only for their (newer) credit card business, not their older/original "charge card" business.

I've had their original Optima CC for ages (I think since late in my college days), and yes, that card had an (moderate) annual fee for the longest time (and I finally ditched it several years ago when I could transfer the legacy account to a newer fee-less CC). But their more recent offerings whether their Blue card or their newer Cash Magnet card are fee-less (unless you go for the premium version... much like other CC companies/banks)... and yes, they come w/ rewards somewhat similar to the competition.

I like keeping an AmEx card around, especially since it's now fee-less, in part because it's one of 2 CC accounts I've kept for well over 30 years (for my credit history) and in part because AmEx provides separate account #s (and online access) for each additional authorize card user, which I find very helpful.

I do actually sporadically use my Cash Magnet card for certain specific things where the 1.5% cashback would be better than a plain 1% back on my various other CCs for certain things (or when there's some additional, good AmEx Offer). Of course, Apple Pay cashback w/ the Apple card (and sometimes other digital wallet rewards offers like Discover's current 5% back one) has cut down on my use of that card somewhat...

No idea what AmEx acquiring the Apple card bizz will actually mean though... FWIW, AmEx does also already offer some kind of similar high yield savings account currently w/ 4% APY.

_Man_

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I watched a video on Nebula (anyone else use that service? I LOVE IT!) and there was a show (TLDR?) that talked about Apple entering the banking world fully. They've dabbled in it a bit (financing their own gear and now more recently Buy No Pay Later) and it kind of made sense for them to be a bank, so I expected them to just acquire Apple Card outright.

Hearing the rumors about Amex is odd since Amex is more expensive for merchant services (partly why Costco dumped them a while back,) and like said above, Amex's use of fee based card. I just don't think Apple wants to put their customers into that type of environment. I won't be interested - I can find matching rates to their 4.15 APY right now but choose not to since it's very simple to move money via my iPhone.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I!M probably going to dump this card anyway because they haven’t figured out a way to add funds without having a bank account.
We only do credit unions.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I!M probably going to dump this card anyway because they haven’t figured out a way to add funds without having a bank account.
We only do credit unions.
Doesn't your credit union checking account have account and routing numbers like any other? That should be all you need.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yes but for some reason I can’t get them connected.

I called their customer service twice and they can’t do it either.

Okay and this is my fault I forgot.

Only individual accounts can be added, joint accounts cannot.
We only have joint accounts.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes but for some reason I can’t get them connected.

I called their customer service twice and they can’t do it either.

Okay and this is my fault I forgot.

Only individual accounts can be added, joint accounts cannot.
We only have joint accounts.
That is such an odd restriction. Seems like it would unnecessarily exclude a lot of people.

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I know that my joint account at my credit union is connected to my Apple Card for payments, but I may have done that before I added my wife to my credit union accounts.

Does seem like a VERY odd limitation that you can't make payments if the account is joint.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
No no. I can make payments.
I can’t add money to the Apple bank account

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks