What's new

Are There Disadvantages to Import Releases? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I have both Basic Instinct and Total Recall. They both have the pitch issue as described by Dave Mack above. The time has been stretched while maintaining pitch. It is really noticeable on the Basic Instinct score as it is very shrill sounding when sped up. In digital sound editing (I'm still using Cool Edit Pro) there are a few options for time/pitch adjustments. You can adjust the time only maintaining pitch, you can adjust the pitch without affecting time, or you can time stretch which will preserve neither time nor pitch. It sounds like they took their sped up PAL master and adjusted the time to match the 24fps HD master without affecting pitch. Look on the bright side, if you are in a PAL country and are used to the sound of PAL speedup you won't notice a thing. :angry:

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
that is interesting.. that the HD version is better then the bluray.

Jacob

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Mark,
I dont think Mulholland Drive is out yet. I thought it was due in March(Im too lazy to see for sure)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
You are correct. I didn't realize it was a pre-order until I actually made the order. That's cool, though. I'll jump through any hoops or wait any amount of time to get this amazing film on HD DVD. I'm sure rabid David Lynch fans will agree with me on that one. :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Mark, it looks pretty good on D-Theater tape and that's been a reliable predictor of how HD-discs will look so far. I'm very lucky to have gotten a copy of the tape. They only made two, small production runs of it. I could of sold it for plenty....

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

According to the thread at AVS, the titles confirmed to have the problem are:

BASIC INSTINCT
THE ELEPHANT MAN
FIRST BLOOD (aka Rambo)
RAMBO (aka RAMBO II)
TOTAL RECALL

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

Well I just ordered La Haine on HD-DVD(the UK release, not the French one), so I hope the audio is ok on that disc.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
As I own most of the above mentioned....

Honestly, very few would know the difference unless you were told....

I have run all of these over the weeks for multiple people and not one has made any comment...

The differences ARE there..... but again.... if you didn't know what to listen for, you wouldn't know the difference.

Dugger

Rolando

Screenwriter
quick question:

Total recall and the others who have sound issues only have the speed up on the import right? The American/Canadian release is fine in terms of sound right? only Stusio Canal used a 25 fps transfer right?

Looking to buy them here and want to confirm these are "safe".

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Rolando,

Only the imports are possibly affected.
US releases are safe in that respect.

Cees

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Another reason Potter could be delayed in the US is Warner wants to release movies on both BR and HD and the HD version has IME. BD-Java isn't working yet so Warner is holding releases back because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks